Rusty Hand Tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a number of hand tools from my late father and some have slight rust on the surface - mainly the squares. I think most of this had occurred before I received them.

What would be the best way to clean and protect them? I have seen suggestions of vinegar and WD40

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy some cheap, own brand cola, the cheapest you can find from the cheapest supermarket and leave them immersed in that for a day or so. When clean, rinse and dry them and give them a wipe over with an oily rag. (y)

I'd suggest not using the cheap coke but a quality brand, and mix it with rum while you wait.

Wire wool or better still a scotchbrite pad and oil/WD for stubborn bits

Non-Edge tools
Light rust - clean with Scotchbrire pad with a trace of Beeswax on it.
Heavier rust - wire wool with a trace of beeswax
Horrible rust - emery paper

Edge tools (chisels, plane irons)
Back - clean on course stone
Face - clean as Non-edge tools above then Regrind and Hone cutting edge.

Plane bodies - sole & Sides; stick fine emery paper to a sheet of plate glass or something equally as flat. clean up by 'planing' the emery paper, similar action on sides.

I'd not use WD40 as protective lubricant as it will soak into timber and cause you problems with vanish or paint if you don't clean it off the timeber to it's depth. Beeswax is better.

Sponsored Links
I like the idea of beeswax.

The planes seem to be in good condition so no work needed there. It is the squares that seem to be the worst - not sure why as they were stored together. The chisels are still in my dad's workshop just in case there are jobs to do for mum. I will need to sort through the rest of the workshop at some point

Ive restored a lot of old tools, I used to use some stuff from hammerite (expensive) you diluted with water but have since found vinegar is just as good, dead cheap as I buy it from a catering supplier near me. Then sand/wire cup brushes/wire wool or these rotary abrasives "things" (not sure of proper name) depending on what it is and how bad.
Don't use WD40 to protect it, it won't work. ACF-50 is really good or old style gearbox oil EP90 etc, messy but good and I've got loads of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back