Handing gymnast rings in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently purchased some gymnastic rings to use as part of a training regime and I'm looking to attach it to the celling in my garage and was looking for some advice on how best to do this.

The rings basically have a strap that you use to tread through or around something and there is another piece that connects the strap together so it's basically a loop with the rings being held within this loop.

I was thinking of using eyelet screws into the wooden roof supports and threading the strap through these. Would this be the best way of doing it? If this is the best way what size and type should I look for?

Also just to make it clear what ever method is best for attaching these they'll need to hold my body weight which is only about 65kg but I'd like it to be able to hold a fair amount more than that.

Sponsored Links
Simplest method wood be to drill hole thru timber, then that's the only component that can fail.

an eye bolt with a big washer under the nut will not depend on the screw thread.

you can put a big bearer between two or more of the roof timbers to spread the load.

be aware that roof timbers in a garage will have been sized to take the weight of a corrugated roof, not some 16-stone athlete bouncing around. You will probably have to add a steel and support it on the walls or a new internal frame.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Sorry about my delay in responding but my work got really busy.

Thank you both for the responses, I don't think I'll be able to drill a hole through the timber as it's covered by plaster board and there's insulation behind it; although it's not impossible as the plaster board isn't actually plastered I just had some spare.

I'm seeing that my idea of an eyelet screw won't do, I hadn't really considered the beams not being strong enough, can't think what the roof is actually made of but it's covered in felt on top but I'd guess you're right and the beams wouldn't need to be that strong to keep the roof up.

I might look into attaching a pull-up bar to the wall then attaching the rings to those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back