Hanging 1700 Grade Lining Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've hung lining paper a number of times, but never anything above 1000. Anyone got any good bits of advice for hanging thicker grades of lining paper?

The walls were in pretty bad shape, but I've patched them up, sanding any bumps and lumps and they're pretty smooth all round - still awful for painting, hence the reason I am using lining paper.

One of the important questions I wanted to ask is applying adhesive. I am using Wickes (UK DIY store) paper paste (this is all they stocked). Should I make a thick mix?

When applying to the paper whats the best time to set the paper aside after applying the paper paste, and how many coats? Should I do one coat of paste, set it aside, and apply another before hanging?

I've also read somewhere that if you have to fill in a number of large holes you should apply PVA to the walls prior to hanging as it will stop the patched areas from sucking in the paste and will give a better stick.

I think that's about it. Any other advice you can throw in would be great.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First thing Throw away the PVA Adhesive, walls and PVA DO NOT go together,

Give the walls a light rub down to remove any knubs fill with basic filler.

Size the walls with recommended paste size mixture as stated on the packet.
Let Dry.

Mix up wallpaper paste as per instructions for wallpaper/lining paper again detailed on packet,
Thick mix of Paste is normally for Vinyl Papers/Embossed Papers
Not used Wickes Wallpaper paste, but should think its made by a main Wallpaper Paste Company and its got "Wickes name on it "

Cut First length paper/paste well, You will spot any dry patches which might need repasting if the paper is left a long time (Tea Break)
it shouldnt dry out if pasted well
put aside, same with second/third length,
Hang First length, cut and paste another length (4th) and so on
I normally try and have three lengths pasted on the go so the first is well soaked and pliable.
Cross lining is recommended

Let Dry.

Mix up wallpaper paste as per instructions for wallpaper/lining paper again detailed on packet,
Not used Wickes Wallpaper paste, but should think its made by a main Wallpaper Paste Company and its got "Wickes name on it "

Cut First length paper/paste well, You will spot any dry patches which might need repasting if the paper is left a long time (Tea Break)
I normally try and have three lengths pasted on the go so the first is well soaked and pliable.

Excellent information. Thank you.

Quick question, how long should I put aside after pasting for the thicker papers?

Let Dry.

Excellent information. Thank you.

Quick question, how long should I put aside after pasting for the thicker papers?

After cutting and pasting the third piece the first should be ready, I dont hang all three at the same time,
just the first then cut and paste another length,and hang the first length, and you then have two sheets soaking while you are working on the first length

Sponsored Links
I'lll go with that then, Just prepping the walls at the moment. Probably going to take all day.

Try to get some 9mm Olfa snap off blades, much sharper than standard blades

I used 1400 Anaglypta Lining Paper (B&Q) which recommends soaking for ten minutes and put it up horizontally in preparation for wallpaper but defective paper meant we just went with the painting method instead.

Amazingly, after filling seams and caulking corners it doesn't look anything like painted wallpaper...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back