Hanging a heavy basin on a stud partition wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm replacing the basin in the downstairs loo - the existing one is tiny.

The new one is the same sink I've used upstairs and is secured with fischer bolts (ie slid onto the steel bolt and tied in with the nut underneath).

Anyway, I need to secure this one downstairs onto a ply batten of some sort but am unsure what fitting to use - I am assuming that a fisher bolt that usually goes into a rawplud couldnt be used as a screw directly into the ply?

Any ideas? This sink is not light!

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
Yes you could use the same bolts, they screw into timber quite well although drilling a pilot hole is advisable, I would work out where the basin is going to go, cut out the plasterboard behind, insert a decent sized cross batten and then board back in, fill the edges and hang the basin

Yes you could use the same bolts, they screw into timber quite well although drilling a pilot hole is advisable, I would work out where the basin is going to go, cut out the plasterboard behind, insert a decent sized cross batten and then board back in, fill the edges and hang the basin

you are a braver man than me muggles- expansion bolts are machine threads, they are tiny.

Personally I would go for timber battens and ply longer than the height of the sink so that if someone sits on the sink it cannot dig/push into the plasterboard at the bottom- seen it happen before!!!

I would recommend coach bolts and also silicon the sink

other than that i agree with muggles

Sponsored Links
Had exact same problem the other day. I used a 'cut to shape' WBP (Plywood) board, screwed into available stud where I could and glued where no stud. The board being the same thickness as the tiles I was using for the splash back. That way the tiles go behind the sink, instead of trying to cut the tiles to the sometimes curved sink profile. The large screw bolts went in fine. Only needs to hold the sink pulling away from the wall as the pedestal takes quite a bit of the weight.

Ahhh... I was assuming that there is no pedestal.

sorry I didn't read the question properly- I thought you were referring to shield anchors

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14258...or-Bolt-Type-8-x-60mm-Drill-Size-14-Pack-of-5

and not

the bolt that has a tapered thread at on end and a machine thread for the nut at the other end.

Muggles is right - sorry muggles

BTW fischer is just the brand name not the product name (sometimes they are called hanger bolts)- this is in no way me passing the buck- I was just being stoopid

Sorry that was me thinking it would be on a pedestal :oops:

Normally the cloakroom basin without pedestal comes with it's own fixing brackets, a bit like these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38620/Fixings/Furniture-Fixings/Cloakroom-Basin-Kit# which slot into the pre formed slots in the basin. Just make sure the basin you are thinking of installing can be free hung on the wall, as you said, there is quite a lot of weight.

ahhhh.... i am only half as stoopid as I think that I am.

I would definitely make sure that the batons in the wall cover the whole height of the sink, as I said, incase someone sits on the edge- I have seen it happen.

I once saw a wall hung toilet collapse into a plasterboard wall the first time the client sat on it because the lazy plumber had fixed the supports to plasterboard and not plywood.

If the sink is fairly tall, eg 12" or so then your fittings should be ok. The fittings will hold it to the wall and the height will make it more difficult to tilt it downwards. I still think that the silicone is a good idea

oops - can you just epxnad a little on what you mean by making the batons cover the whole hegith of the sink?

Do you mean remove the plasterbaord and add vertical batons all the way down from the height of the sink (about 90cm) down to the floor?

My plan is to baton it this way but have the batons set back 2 cm into the stud wall. Then to screw 18mm plywood onto the batons and a fix the fishers bolts through the ply and baton. Then recover with plasterboard and hang the sink.

D

hi ya

could you give us the dimensions of the sink please, is it so big that the fixings fall outside of the joists, ie spans more than one pair?

also what finish is on the wall at the moment?

tnx

sink is 600mm wide by 450 depth - the fixing holes are centred 11 inches apart. i havent opened up the wall yet but I suspect there is one central support (wall is 80 cm wide). Walls sits on a concrete floor

Finish will be in plaster (well, board and easy fill)

Hi Darren

That should be fine- others might suggest that it is overkill but your way it should be kid safe :D

Best of luck

darrenh what are you doing about the supply and basin waste pipes?

Are they coming through the wall already or are they running outside the wall along the floor?

If you're are planning to run the pipes in the wall, do you need to drill any studs to accommodate the waste pipe?

I ask because I have a similar problem to you but my stud wall is metal.

this is how i hung mine on a stud wall

DSC00299.JPG

it still uses the fischer fixings, i was considering using bolts instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back