Hanging baskets on wall vibrating/creaking in wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got 2 hanging baskets at the front of our house, which when it's even slightly windy creak and crank incredibly loudly / annoyingly. I'm not sure what is actually causing the noise but it is driving us mad.

Any ideas / tips on how to minimise this?

Hanging baskets are 18-20" diameter.

Sponsored Links
Slip a bit of plastic sleeving (insulation from electric flex or similar) over the hook to stop it binding.

I'll try that, but it seems to be an issue with the bracket and the harling on the wall.

Sponsored Links
I'll try that, but it seems to be an issue with the bracket and the harling on the wall.

That would indicate it's loose, try tightening or replacing the fixings.

Bit of plastic as advised above between the metal bits will help.

Putting some gravel in them to weight them down will make them swing less, but this ties back into them being loose so make sure they can take more weight.

Have now resolved this, the issue was in fact to do with the hook creaking against the basket's metal chain whenever the basked moved.

I genuinely thought it was to do with the bracket and wall as we could hear the noise indoors as well but the noise must have been travelling along the iron bracket and transferring through the house.

We couldn't get plastic sleeving wide enough in B&Q for some reason, so we got a black sticky-backed velcro and wrapped that around the bracket's hook, which has worked a treat.

Thanks for all the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back