Hanging external door between bricked entrance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fit an external door to an outbuilding. The outbuilding is brick and the gap between the side brick walls vary between 750 mm (top) and 730 mm (bottom).

I am hoping to fit a ledger and braced door weighing approx 15 kg. 2 widths of door are available, 686 mm or 610 mm.

I am hoping to get the 686 mm door and build a wooden frame using 20.5 mm thick batons, 34 mm wide. The batons will be drilled to the brick walls using frame fixings.

So 2 batons (41 mm) + the door (686) = 727 mm which just fits the overall minimum gap of 730 mm.

My concern is, are my batons going to be strong/thick enough to hang the door from? I am planning to use 3 x 350 T hinges.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Have you posted the size correctly...

20.5 x 34

That's too small for a door liner.

You might get away with 20.5 if the hinges can go on the face not the edge, as I bet the hinges will be wider than 20mm.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have posted the correct size.

I have just checked the T hinge size and see that the part that attaches to edge of the post is 30 mm so can see now that the frame I am intending is at least 10 mm to narrow if I use T hinges on the edge.

I guess my only options are to use standard door hinges on the face of the frame or get the narrower door 610 mm instead of 686 mm.

If I stick to the wider door and attach standard hinges to the face of the frame, would the frame size (20.5 mm x 34 mm) by strong enough?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back