Hanging floating vanity unit - will it hold the weight of kids!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to hang a floating vanity unit in the bathroom but we have 2 young kids who will no doubt try to climb on it at some point. It will be fixed through wall tiles and into a solid brick wall.

Question is, will it take the weight of a small child i.e. ca. 3-4 stone or are they simply not designed to have much weight on them?

Also, any recommendation for appropriate fixing would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Would like to hang a floating vanity unit in the bathroom but we have 2 young kids who will no doubt try to climb on it at some point. It will be fixed through wall tiles and into a solid brick wall.

Question is, will it take the weight of a small child i.e. ca. 3-4 stone or are they simply not designed to have much weight on them?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
with the greatest off respect if you think you kids may climb and may pull a wall unit off the wall you dont hang a wall unit as it will be a hazard or you remove the kids from the situation or keep a very close eye on them
i assume they are autistic or similar ??
often the best you can do is distract them i know not easy but you can never make a normal room autistic proof just autistic freindly (y)
ok re read the post not a high level wall unit but a floating low level its you choice really inform the kids not to swing on the sink or live with the way things pan out :D

Last edited:
with the greatest off respect if you think you kids may climb and may pull a wall unit off the wall you dont hang a wall unit as it will be a hazard or you remove the kids from the situation or keep a very close eye on them
i assume they are autistic or similar ??
often the best you can do is distract them i know not easy but you can never make a normal room autistic proof just autistic freindly (y)
ok re read the post not a high level wall unit but a floating low level its you choice really inform the kids not to swing on the sink or live with the way things pan out :D

Nope, fortunately no such conditions to deal with. Kids will simply lean on it getting out of the bath for example, so nothing out of the ordinary but i’m not sure if they’re capable, structurally, to take this type of weight.

I’m not too worried about the thing pulling out of the wall as the vanity is fixed to a solid wall. I’m more worried that the thing will fold in on itself.
Thanks

Nope, fortunately no such conditions to deal with. Kids will simply lean on it getting out of the bath for example, so nothing out of the ordinary but i’m not sure if they’re capable, structurally, to take this type of weight.

I’m not too worried about the thing pulling out of the wall as the vanity is fixed to a solid wall. I’m more worried that the thing will fold in on itself.
Thanks

Take your kids on a day out to a bathroom showplace, hang them off a floating vanity unit and see what happens....

Small children should be supervised in the bathroom .

Jeez, thought this was a DIY forum not a parenting forum. The eldest is 4 and responsible enough to lean on the sink whilst brushing his teeth by himself - I really don’t think this needs adult supervision.

Highest accident rate in children is among under 5’s.
I have three under 5’s in care who’s parents thought like you .

Jeez, thought this was a DIY forum not a parenting forum. The eldest is 4 and responsible enough to lean on the sink whilst brushing his teeth by himself - I really don’t think this needs adult supervision.
can you show us the item you intend fitting?

I would advise getting the legs whilst they are young and as they get older they will be able to understand better what could happen if the clamber on it.

Having said that, I work at a holiday park and the state of the fixtures after we have had 'only adults' staying makes me wonder.

Many thanks

Kitchen Hanging rail is very strong and rigid, and can have plenty of screws so there is no risk of all your screws being in a mortar joint or crumbly brick. It fits the ordinary cabinet hangers. I've forgotten the strength per hanger, but it is quite a lot.

I think the idea of the legs is very sound.

As an adult, I once toppled over in a hospital bathroom, saving myself by grabbing the radiator and pulling it off the wall. So it isn't just children.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back