Hanging kitchen wall cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if we are being really dense here: have a flat pack wall cabinet from Wickes. Assembled fine, fixed wall plates (to rather uneven wall - not sure if that is the problem) but the darn things just will not stay up. Have checked & rechecked and not sure what we are doing wrong?
Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Are the brackets which are fixed to the cabinet the adjustable type?

And do they hook over the hanging plate on the wall like the one’s in the link. If they are try losing the adjustment part as much as it can be and then hang the cabinet up then tighten the adjustment up correctly. The wall may just have something to do with your problem hence letting off the brackets to allow full movememt.

www.alanwakefield.co.uk/yekard.pdf

If this is no good post the product number i.e. the hinge number so members can look it up on the web and give further assistance.

Hears wishing you and love ones a very magical Christmas and a fantastic new year.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. They are very similar to the ones in your link as they hook over the hanging plate - well they would if I could get them to!
I will try what you suggest tomorrow morning. DH is talking about having batons across the back of the cabinets and then screwing them to the wall in addition to the hangers as we have lost our confidence in them - is this a daft idea?
Thanks again

Hi

You are very welcome.

I will do a quick drawing and post it in the morning to show how I put up my cabinets.

But the wall will need be some what flat.

Sponsored Links
Hi

As promised follow link for drawing.

www.alanwakefield.co.uk/yekard.-hook-batten.pdf

Soft wood hook battens to be constructed from 145 x 20 par cut down the length with a 45 deg cut thus producing a male and female hook batten.

The first batten (male) is fixed to the top of the wall cabinet.
Determine the height of the cabinet and mark the top.
Hold the female batten (the one that is fixed to the wall) in position on the rear of the cabinet and take measurement A
Mark this measurement on the wall.
Fix female batten to wall.
Hang cabinet on wall

As Bespoke suggests slacken off the hangers so the "hook" protrudes more. If you have the Wickes ones with 18mm backs then this will need doing.

Also ensure that the wall plates fit within the carcase sides eg 20mm in from each edge so that the carcase can be pulled fully back to the wall.

Jason

Thanks so much for your help. I slackened off both the hooks as much as I could, and fingers crossed, the cabinets are still on the wall!
I would also like to thank Bespoke for taking the time to do the drawing - it is much appreciated.
Happy Christmas to all.
Caroline

Hi Caroline

You are more than welcome.

Now go and have a wonderful Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back