Hanging my new radiator - trouble with brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having a bit of trouble that I'd like some advice on if I may.

One of my radiators was dripping, so I drained it into a tray, removed it and am replacing it. The new radiator was slightly smaller so I used tail extensions, which seem fine.

My trouble is hanging it !! I keep loosely putting the brackets on the new radiator, to try and line up with the radiator valves, but they keep falling off before I have time to mark the top of them!! Is there any easier way I can mark the radiator bracket positions as this is frustrating me now!!

Any help would be really good!

Sponsored Links
place the rad where its going in the centre of the rad valves but just resting on the floor.
then make a pencil mark on the wall the centre of the brackets on the rad.

if you take a spirit level and hold on the wall where the two centres of the rad valves are and make a pencil mark on the wall inline with the other two pencil marks.
now you have your marks for the bracket centres and rad valve centres.

lay the rad down and fit a wall bracket to the rad and measure from the bottom of the bracket to the centre of where the rad tail screws in.
useally about 70mm.
then on the bottom mark you made on the wall (rad valve centres)
mark the measurement you have just taken from that line.

now you have how far in and how far up the brackets need to be.

ccccccc.jpg

Do this by measurement....lay the rad flat on the floor, lining the pipe inlets up - face down and bottom of the rad to the wall. On the back of the rad you'll see the straps where the brackets clip on to. Mark the centre of these straps on the wall using a spirit level and draw a vertical line. Put the rad brackets on the rad, and measure the distance from the bottom of them to the bottom of the rad. Then decide how high you want the rad to be off the floor, and add these two measurements together.....this will give you the position of the rad bracket bottom which you mark onto the strap centre line.
Fix one bracket in place, then use the spirit level horizontally to mark out the next one. Double check all measurements again before drilling any fixing holes. Hope you can understand that!
John :)

Thanks for your help :)

As the radiator was leaking, should I add more inhibitor to the header tank? Jut wondered why it was leaking all of a sudden, like just 1 radiator?

Sponsored Links
Usually caused by corrosion!

Often as a result of pumping over!

Tony

It does no harm to overdose the inhibitor a bit...it really depends what and how much was in there in the first place. Personally I use the Fernox F1 concentrate that can be injected through the rad bleed valve hole.
So, the original rad was leaking due to corrosion, I assume? (Just wondering what the state of the water was that you drained out of the old rad).
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back