Fitting new radiator brackets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorted out my blocked cold feed last thursday evening, and now have 1 other job to do - am replacing my bathroom radiator as it was dripping from the bottom. All the others are fine, and I have inhibitor in the system again and gave it a good flush through the other night also.

I have bought a new radiator of the same size as the old one. the old radiator had no trv, just 2 normal valves, so i closed these off and drained the radiator into a tray and removed it.

To install the new one, i will need to fit the new brackets - but what is the easiest way of making sure the new radiators tails line up with the valves - is it tricky? I am not sure i can hold the radiator in place with the brackets on and mark the wall at the same time. Is there any other easier way i have not worked out, which i can get the new brackets to the correct height without having to struggle on my own while holding the radiator off the floor and marking?

Sponsored Links
Lie the radiator on its front, then place the brackets on the hooks as they would be when it is on the wall. Then measure from the bottom of the bracket to the inlet/outlet of the radiator. Lets say it is 14inches as an example.

Then from the lockshields already in place, measure 14 inches up on the wall, and that is were the bottom of the bracket will go.

Ok thanks - i will do this - shall i measure from the top of the valves? if i am say a mm out will it make a big difference, or does it have to be 100% exact. I will try and get it exact anyway.

I would measure from centre of inlet, if you have a little play in your pipes it doesn't have to be 100% exact but I wouldn't go any lower than 99% :)

Sponsored Links
Usually radiator brackets have slots and holes for fixing. You could fix through the slots first and then you have some room for movement. Once it's exactly right, drill and fix through the holes.

Thanks for all of your help. Shall i measure as close as i can as 1st suggested by measuring the distance from the valve, etc, then drill the holes and plug them in the centre of the fixing line through the bracket, then ive got movement either way if i need it - and then fully tighten the screws once all is correct / level??

Yep do the measurements first to mke sure you are near as you can get, then once you have lined up correctly tightened up on the adjustable one, drill through the fixed hole one, then stick your plug on the end of the screw and hammer it in so plug is in tight, then screw up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back