Hardstanding Rules/Regulations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have created a hardstanding on the front of my property, this comprises of a 5.2*3.6m area, 10" deep hardcore/crusher, 2/3" deep plum slate.

The purpose of this hardstanding is to create a drive, I have now had a few quotes for the dropped kerb and have submitted my application to the council. However a guy who came to quote today advised that this would not be allowed as a hard standing as its a gravel driveway and has to be constructed from either concrete, slabs, tarmac or block pave, he is a professional drive layer/dropped kerber.

This is the first I have heard of this and thought the councils (especially Sheffield due to the 2007 floods) were activily encouraging self draining hardstandings??

Is there any truth to this??

Many Thanks

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Your man is talking out of his backside.
We do not know how to post links etc, but google Planning Portal - Paving your Front Garden and read your fill.
The only way that you may come unstuck is with your crusher run. Your sub base for permeable drives should be pure crushed granite or limestone. This is a 40mm product that has been screened to create a reduced fines aggregate not zero fines.
Do not know whether your crusher run will stand up to spec. If any one asks say it is Type 3. sub base as above
One other thing, most councils now insist that dropped kerbs are only carried out by authorised council approved sub contractors or their own direct labour due to the health and safety and insurance implications. Check it out.
oldun

Your man is talking out of his backside.
We do not know how to post links etc, but google Planning Portal - Paving your Front Garden and read your fill.
The only way that you may come unstuck is with your crusher run. Your sub base for permeable drives should be pure crushed granite or limestone. This is a 40mm product that has been screened to create a reduced fines aggregate not zero fines.
Do not know whether your crusher run will stand up to spec. If any one asks say it is Type 3. sub base as above
One other thing, most councils now insist that dropped kerbs are only carried out by authorised council approved sub contractors or their own direct labour due to the health and safety and insurance implications. Check it out.
oldun

Thanks for the reply,

That has put my mind and wallet at rest, my crusher was limestone 40mm to dust so that sounds ok.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, as your advice suggested the council approved my dropped kerb and has now been completed.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back