Hardwearing Waterproofing for Concrete Balcony that is used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the ask for some advice.

The place we are renovating has a Balcony area. It is the roof for a section of rooms below it. It measures about 5 x 6 meters, but can check.

It is a concrete roof and solid. It has little parapet walls rising about 10 inches, so effectively a tub. With a single drain out in the middle of the end to the back. One side and part of the other butts up against the wall for the rest of the building. There has been leaks at this join in the past, but for the moment it is sealed with some roof sealer stuff.

It looks like it is currently covered in a fiberglass/bitumen combo - see photos.

What I would like to know is what would be a good thing to brush/paint/cover this with, rising up the sides to form a hard wearing waterproof cover for this. This area is used with tables and chairs etc etc.

SBR the whole thing? That tough enough? Acrypol, but will that handle the traffic? What's the answer :)

Cheers

Safara

Sponsored Links
You do not say if its leaking,but I would either deck it or light weight slabs on roof support pads if it was not leaking.

Hi Dilly :)

It does leak on occasion at the edges - but these have been masticked up. There are little patches of it that seem to have holes or thin bits.

Was after what wonder substance I can coat it with to make sure and keep the thing watertight LOL

Any coating you buy will only be temporary,you best get a local flat roofer to have a look to see what the build up is,as it is a baloney what ever you use needs to be hard wearing eg fibreglass.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Dilly - Fiberglass has been mentioned - just was not sure on the durability of it with tables and chairs on it etc.

It needs Asphalt or felt with promenade tiles on, as will any membrane to protect it.

Alternatively, Triflex. Designed for exactly that purpose, but you need to be an approved installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back