Hardwiring a new Ring 2 Pro WITHOUT existing doorbell or chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, I'm trying to install my new Ring Pro 2 hard-wired doorbell. My home didn't have an existing hardwired doorbell or chime and I was previously using a wireless battery-operated doorbell and socket-based plug-in chime/ringer.

During recent renovations to our house, the builder's electrician (who we no longer have access to) knew we were going to install a hard-wired Ring door bell and left two cables outside our front door to connect the new Ring doorbell too - one a live/brown and the other a neutral/blue.

These outside cables are connected to a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer which is then connected to the lighting circuit inside our porch.

Upon trying to fit and wire my new Ring doorbell, it appears the cables that he's left me aren't compatible and won't connect to the two screwed connection points at the back of the Ring doorbell. Seemingly they require different types of cables, similar to what you would see connected to a traditional hardwired doorbell and chime.

I've also since found out that some people are recommending that a Wirewound Resistor should be fitted between the transformer and the doorbell.

Could anybody give me advice on how best to proceed?

Many thanks.

Hardwiring a new Ring 2 Pro WITHOUT existing doorbell or chime

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the wires you have, and the terminals you are trying to connect to, on the back of the Ring?

a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer
Dispose of that and buy the Ring power adaptor.

Using other transformers designed for traditional doorbells may or may not work. Unreliability and problems are inevitable.

The online manual suggests that the Pro 2 comes with a DIN rail transformer included?

"Note: Hardwire with included DIN Rail Transformer 2nd Gen (24V DC, 0.42A, 10W)"

Was there one in the box?

Sponsored Links
Dispose of that and buy the Ring power adaptor.

Using other transformers designed for traditional doorbells may or may not work. Unreliability and problems are inevitable.
Sorry, I purchased a transformer to the specifications recommended on the ring installation page. I don’t have the option to install Ring plug in adapter which requires to be plugged into a socket.

The online manual suggests that the Pro 2 comes with a DIN rail transformer included?

"Note: Hardwire with included DIN Rail Transformer 2nd Gen (24V DC, 0.42A, 10W)"

Was there one in the box?
Hi, no, there wasn’t a transformer in the box.

If the wires are too large for those screws, put one of these on the end of each wire.

shopping.png

If the wires are too large for those screws, put one of these on the end of each wire.

View attachment 294158
I could get the wires to look round, but there is no indication on the Ring on what side should be live or neutral, and from the videos I’ve looked at online the wires going round the Ring look far thinner as if they are coming from wires that would normally be connected between a traditional doorbell and a hard wired chime.

, but there is no indication on the Ring on what side should be live or neutral,
There is no live or neutral.
It's an isolated AC supply in the case of the old style doorbell transformer, or DC for the proper Ring power supply.
The connections will work either way.

No wires fit properly to those screw terminals, as the designers of the product were evidently not interested in such things.

There is no live or neutral.
It's an isolated AC supply in the case of the old style doorbell transformer, or DC for the proper Ring power supply.
The connections will work either way.

No wires fit properly to those screw terminals, as the designers of the product were evidently not interested in such things.

So I can effectively just hook up the neutral and live wires to the back of the unit, and it should work as needed?

So I can effectively just hook up the neutral and live wires to the back of the unit, and it should work as needed?
Yes, but to be sure what is the rated VA of your transformer?
...and as above, they are not live and neutral wires - they are brown and blue wires connected to an AC transformer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back