Hardwiring a tv power lead issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I’m replacing my wall mounted Samsung tv and have a fused spur switch at floor level.

The lead from the previous tv (IEC kettle style) was hard wired to the power cable behind tv and included an earth.

The new lead is a thinner figure of 8 style with no earth. It carries power to the back of the set fine but the tv itself won’t actually turn on? Is the tv not accepting the lead being spliced? If I fit a 13amp plug & plug into a socket, the tv works ok.

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be no difference between Live and Neutral connected in a plug top, and Live and Neutral connected to the power feed from your spur. (BTW, 13 amp for a fuse for a TV, nah. 5 amp is more like it. You want the fuse to blow to protect the device.)

Have another look at the wiring from the spur. Make sure what you think are Live and Neutral actually are. Check the fuse in the spur. If you want, you can post pictures here as well. That might be helpful for us if you're still stuck. :)

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you

There should be no difference between Live and Neutral connected in a plug top,

It's a plug. A plugtop is the cover or lid of the plug.

(BTW, 13 amp for a fuse for a TV, nah. 5 amp is more like it. You want the fuse to blow to protect the device.)

Doesn't actually matter, the fuse is to protect the cable, not the TV. All TV's have correct internal fusing.

Evening,

Is the tv not accepting the lead being spliced? If I fit a 13amp plug & plug into a socket, the tv works ok.

Most probably you have made a poor job of the splicing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Turns out the live wire at one end of the join was poorly spliced. Not by me but should have checked it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back