Converting TV power lead to IEC connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a figure 8 power lead in a cavity connected to a plug point I had assumed that my new TV would have same connector. However it has a hard wired lead with standard plug I can't plug it in to the power point as I can't get it through the cavity

I was thinking of getting an adaptor to change the figure 8 connector to an IEC one

https://goo.gl/images/d4G7NA

I could then replace end of lead coming from TV with a corresponding connector. The Sony power is non earthed

Is this OK to do

Sponsored Links
Yes if the TV does not require an earth connection. Check you have the space for the adaptor !

Dave

Or you make up an adaptor with a re-wirable female IEC connector one end, and figure 8 the other.

Sponsored Links
I note I can buy a IEC connector which you can wire directly so can fit that to the end of TV hard wired lead. However I can't find a figure 8 connector so was thinking of buying a figure 8 extension lead and cutting the end off and fitting a male IEC connector at the end. So I then connect that to the existing figure 8 lead and plug other end into the IEC connector on TV

I was looking at connectors for attaching an IEC to figure 8 extension lead and found these on Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-in-line-connector-box/8692h#product_additional_details_container

I assume that it makes no difference they are not rated 32amps as the wire I am connecting to has a 5 amp fuse at end

In fact if I just buy a figure 8 extension and one end off and connect the other end to the TV lead I could then simply connect the female other end to the exiting male figure 8 I have

Is there anything wrong with that idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back