Is it permissable to connect a non earthed lead to a standard socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a TV power lead which has been channelled behind my TV It is plugged into a switch behind a partition

The lead is a 2 wire non earthed ending at a figure of 8 connector

I have bought a new TV which has a hard wired plug I have been told now that if I remove the plug I will lose the warranty

I was so wondering whether I could connect a standard socket at end of the existing lead and I could then plug TV into that and stick the socket behind the TV in a cavity

The TV does not have an earth lead . I assume that as long as I only use that TV in that socket that it would be safe . Is that correct

Sponsored Links
I remove the plug I will lose the warranty
Not true, and not enforceable either.

I could connect a standard socket at end of the existing lead
No, because there is no earth. This TV doesn't need one - a future one might, and there would be nothing to stop one being plugged in.

The simplest solution to the problem is to cut the end off the existing lead, cut the plug off the new TV, and fit one of these to the two ends: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94584
ensuring that the part with the pins is connected to the TV.

Sponsored Links
Not true, and not enforceable either.

No, because there is no earth. This TV doesn't need one - a future one might, and there would be nothing to stop one being plugged in.

The simplest solution to the problem is to cut the end off the existing lead, cut the plug off the new TV, and fit one of these to the two ends: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94584
ensuring that the part with the pins is connected to the TV.

What about connecting a socket to a figure 8 extension which I can then just pull out from the existing figure c8 lead

https://m.reichelt.com/gb/en/?LANGU...eev19XNCPfNmhy9r9r1KV6R8lteQl-0QaAkTiEALw_wcB

What I want to know is as long as nothing else is used with that socket that it would be permissible. The socket will be hidden behind TV so no one else would be able to use it

What about connecting a socket to a figure 8 extension which I can then just pull out from the existing figure c8 lead

What I want to know is as long as nothing else is used with that socket that it would be permissible. The socket will be hidden behind TV so no one else would be able to use it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back