Fitting aerial socket

What I don't understand is why you can't split the cable, I mean it only a broadcast signal. :?:

Sponsored Links
Sorry!

On the dish is an LNB (either single for traditional sky or quad for sky+)

The quad allowing for sky+ multiroom where you can have sky+ in more than one room.

Eddie M said:
What I don't understand is why you can't split the cable, I mean it only a broadcast signal. :?:

I suppose you could - but it would mean watching the same channel

simonpearce said:
Eddie M said:

Don't understand, why? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
simonpearce said:
Eddie M said:

Don't understand, why? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand.

I'm not an expert but I believe it works very differently to normal TV.
For example, if you take a feed from the back of the skybox to another tv then it would show the same sky channel you're watching on the main tv.

It does, however, pipe through terrestrial (sp) tv as well which can be different.

God I wish I could explain things properly!

But surely if you split the signal after the f-connector on the face plate, then this would be exactly the same as having two seperate feeds from 2 different LNB outputs :?: I don't see what the difference is (apart from potential signal loss). I wouldn't worry too much about, I'm probably wrong :!:

I meant in the other direction, i.e. the ones behind the outlet plate running to the dish.

On the dish is an LNB which has four inputs - the two cables run into two of those inputs leaving two spare for another installation.

Eddie M said:
Inputs ? Outputs !

You're pushing it now! I'm right at the extent of my sky knowledge already! I thought I was being good using 'inputs' instead of just 'holes'!!!!

The whole point of sky+ is the ability to watch one channel whilst recording another

The box has two tuners and each one needs its own lnb

Both of those tuners communicate with a LNB by sending a tone/voltage
as it requires those commands to switch between Horizontal and Vertical polarities and High/Low bands.

A single cable carrying two sets of commands to a single LNB would cause problems

Does this help ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back