Hardwood architraves wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone tell me where I can obtain hardwood architraves, cills, and 1"x0.5" stripwood? Needs to be Sapele (if that's how you spell it) or similar in lengths of up to 2.2m (but not a vast quantity, I might add).

It's for repairs to hardwood-frame in which UPC double glazing is mounted. Nobody down here in West Country can supply or even knows where I can get it from.

Sponsored Links
Sapele will have to be machined for you . Travis Perkins and most other timber merchants carry Meranti mouldings which will look just like sapele.

Jason

Thank you JasonB. I've tried TP, Jewsons, and other local merchants, but they all say that they have to buy in a billet of timber, make up suitiable cutters for the cross-section I want (which is standard softwood architrave pattern), and machine up what I want. This makes it prohibitively expensive. e.g. £300 for about 20m moulding.

Sponsored Links
try any of your local joinery workshops in the yellow pages. you may have to ring around a few, but some will turn out the stuff for you and at a reasonable price.

Handyman said:
Thank you JasonB. I've tried TP, Jewsons, and other local merchants, but they all say that they have to buy in a billet of timber, make up suitiable cutters for the cross-section I want (which is standard softwood architrave pattern), and machine up what I want. This makes it prohibitively expensive. e.g. £300 for about 20m moulding.

They may of said this if you have asked specifically for sapele. I had a similar problem when I wanted ash mouldings. As Jason said though, Meranti is very common and is stocked at many timber yards and is almost the same as sapele in appearance. I even think B&Q stock it, about 1"x about 3/8" in the Richard Burbridge rack(at a price!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back