Hardwood Floor Cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.
Got a solid oak floor that needs freshening up and need some advice on the best method.
It's an engineered floor (bevelled edges ) that's been down about 5 years,but have no idea what it was originally treated with.
Not so dirty that it needs sanding down but dirty enough to need more than a hoover and damp cloth.
I've looked on some of the "how to" websites but they're very contradictory.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
My first thought was a steam mop,until I read a couple of posts that strongly
advised against it.
That said. A couple of other posts recommend it, !
Conused ? Definitely !!

if it was mine and it hasnt moved since its been down then i would use 1.
where not talking of throwing gallons of water down now are we.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice gregers.
I'll give the steam mop a go.
Any advice on make/model, or are all much of a muchness ?

Have a look at the clean & green wood floor cleaning bottles

Clean & green Active for cleaning.
Also one I use to sort out scratches and marks is bio tec oil

If your floor is actually wood (engineered or solid) absolutely do not use steam!! Water is bad enough as it is which is why manufacturers recommend using a well wrung mop when cleaning. If its a laminate or other synthetic wood-look material, steam away!

Wood floor refreshing methods are determined by what the coating is. Most coatings these days are either hard waxoil or lacquer and these each have specific deep clean and refresher treatments that are not cross compatible. So you will need to ascertain what the coating is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back