Hardwood Floor - hiding nails, dents but what filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some maple T&G which is creaky, and the only option to remove this is to surface nail at various points. I think the tongue-tite screws are probably less visible option, but I would probably still want to fill the holes once complete. At the same time there are a couple of large dents that I would also like to hide.

What is the best filler for these jobs? Some sort of hard 2-part in as close a colour as possible? I think for the dents I would also probably want them to be finished in the same sort of mild-sheen that the rest of the floor has, so that they don't catch the eye - I suppose a final coat of varnish would do the job?

Sponsored Links
If they are dents rather than hole then they might not fill too well, how deep are they and filling them almost certainly won't hide them.
If the floor is already finished then be careful what you decide to use over the top as the two products might not be compatible.

its a cross between a hole/dent/gauge. i guess a clear resin/filler may work as it would pick up the colour from underneath and as long as the finish was a match to the rest, would probably look ok when viewed (it is a hall where the light can bounce in from one end when sunny and so this tends to highlight an imperfection) as any colour difference would just look like another knot

Sponsored Links
Probably not what you want to hear, but you may be better off sanding the whole thing back, doing your repairs and then refinishing the whole floor, matching in finishes isn't the easiest unless you know for sure what's on there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back