hardwood flooring - possible underlay ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Im new to the forum and Im just looking for some advice.
Im in the process of renovating a house to live in which i bought over a years ago. We're now on the final push, I've sorted out all the electric and thru network cables, the extensions has been built and the pattering is just getting finished. soon it will be time to lay the wood floor i bought a year ago from bnq...
I know, i bought it thinking i was going to put it down sooner rather than later, but look on the good side, its had a year to acclimatise! Lol.
My question is this; the flooring is real wood and is going in the hallway, living room and dining room continuously with no breaks. its going to be layer on the existing wooden floor boards and Im going to hire a secret nailer to fit it, but will i need any underlay, or is it superfluous?

Sponsored Links
Do use thresholds in between door posts if you want to floor to behave correctly after you've installed in. The climate in the various areas differs from other areas, therefore it is recommended to treat every room/area as a separate entity.

If you secret nail there is no use of an underlayment

Ok thanks for that, I think BnQ do some matching ones for the floor I have chosen.

Also thanks for the advice regarding the underlay. Should I prepare the floor boards first in any way?

Also I am thinking about having the kitchen tiled, but which is it best to have done first, the wood flooring or the tiling?

Make sure the existing floorboards are level, and firmly fixed to the joists. If you install in the same direction of the existing boards, install hardboard or plywood first, to avoid any "see-saw" effect.

Tiles is most often "wet work", do that first then.

Sponsored Links
The new flooring will run in the opposite direction to the floor boards, and they should all be firmly screwed down as I've had some up for the electrics.

Someone said i should think about fibreboard underlay. I used some on my laminate last time and it was quite good, but not sure if I need some this time with it being real wood and me nailing it down?

I will get the tiler in after I've fitted the kitchen and get him to sort that out first, then match the wood up after

There's a big difference in installation methods and materials to use between installing something floating or secret nailing. The nails (angle and impact) will indent the underlayment - break the fibreboard even - and render it useless.

Thanks for your input, think I'll not bother with the underlay then, just make sure the floor boards are clean, level and properly secured first before I start laying the new stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back