Hardwood flooring query

And whatever gave you this ridiculous idea ????????

When there is a concrete floor involved on the ground floor, always check for moisture whatever method of installation you plan to use.

So you perform a Relative Humidity test to within British Standards using a hygrometer before installing a solid floor over concrrete using a DPM underlay ?

YES or No wil do.

Sponsored Links
Stating that when installing a wooden floor on concrete using the floating method you don't have to check on damp/mooisture
- that will not do

You can't be serious!

Don' try to change the issue here.

I thought my question was simple enough ? and who is changing the subject ?

I am referring directly to your statement about checking for moisture and asked if you checked all concrete sub-floors prior to installation ? You couldn't answer yes or no, preferring to rant instead!!

So, can you answer my question with YES or NO please (paying particular attention to the use of a hygrometer) which as you should know is the ONLY way to test for moisture.

Sorry, but you stated that when you use the floating installation method on a concrete floor you don't need to check for damp/moisture.
So when a client wants his floor installed floating, you never ask:
how old the concrete is,
if they ever had a leak or moist problem,
if when removing the existing floor covering they smelt damp
and you never check outside if the air-bricks are open and unblocked?

All standard procedures for CHECKING FOR DAMP/MOISTURE.

If any of these questions or our own observations shows any doubt about any present or past moist problems then we measure the moist content in the concrete - which is a standard procedure for us when it involves a new build or new extension anyway - and do a reading of the air humidity.

Your statement indicates that whenever a client wants his floor installed floating you wouldn't bother with any of this? Nah, why worry - we're using a DPM anyway and sod the after results?

That's the issue!

Be my guest to consider my remark "you can't' be serious" a rant, but I find it hard tyo take you serious at the moment making such a statement.

Sponsored Links
Your amateurish approach is realy starting to shine through now. You still havn't answered my one simple question with Yes or No.

Will you answer it please, at my 3rd request?

You have just clarrified to me, by your statement that your moisture check consists of ,,,

smelling for damp lol,
asking if there have been any leaks,
how old the concrete is and lastly but very funny...

(please read on and check her last statement....)

Check the "airbricks" are open and unlocked???

Concrete floors don't have airbricks, only joist supported timber subfloors have these. What would British Standards ever make of a dodgy moisture check like yours?

Just to remind you, the suject is:

Floating floors on DPM underlay, over concrete!!, something which you are professional and adept at, according to your MANUAL ( which, by all accounts isn't a best seller) and you are obviously not attibiuted to the "spelling" content.

I wonder what British Standards or indeed the BwfA (which you are a member of) would have to say about your (All standard procedures for CHECKING FOR DAMP/MOISTURE), i'm sure their only recommendation would be with the use of a hygrometer and not your nose or some gut feeling!!

1 quesion,

If you smelt damp, with your hygrometer efficeint nose or your customer had a leak, what would you do? considering your DPM underlay would instantly cure a problem like this?

i'll allow a full essay of your reply..

Concrete floors don't have airbricks, only joist supported timber subfloors have these.

I rest my case. Every home has air bricks.

Calling names will not help you. You're wrong: and twisting words to avoid having to retract your statement

This case remains truly open.

Please explain how every house has "airbricks" ? after which you may reply to my earlier question, or should you have to consult your book, that your co -authour wrote?

Calling names ?? is not in my interests... all our conversations are here to be seen, please point out where the name calling is? i have only questioned your thoughts throughout on wood floor installations, on concrete, with your floating DPM.

In fact, you questioned my ethics first but with your typical cockey attitude.. minus the ;)
I asked you to back it up with facts and you can't.

It is you who is changing the subject.

Try answering my questions and the issue might be solved

Anyone entrusting your name is just heading for trouble. You are an amatuer with a shop front!!

I rest my case. Every home has air bricks.

WYL, you have gone quiet.....

Would you please explain to the world wide web how or why "Every home has airbricks"

Concrete floors don't have airbricks, only joist supported timber subfloors have these.
Right.

These must be bee hives then.

Ashford Borough must have a massive number of bees then with all the estates being build since the late 80's up to now with concrete foundation and air bricks, sorry bee hives.

As for our book, since you mention it, is selling rather well, thank you very much.

And as for answering your earlier question, why don't you re-ready the "essay" and instead of grabbing the Dictionary to check on other's spelling and typing mistakes, read it.

You still have me believe that you - when a client asks you to install the floor floating on a concrete floor - you don't consider asking the client for tell-tale signs of damp/moist problems (part or present) as checking for damp/moist? By all means "read" in this that it is the only check for damp/moist we do - that's your choice. Do read someone's "essay" properly instead of grabbing the Dictionary

Nice pictures wyl,,

Those airbricks are merely "cavity wall" vents and have nothing to do with floor ventilation.

Only wooden joist or block & beam sub-floors have airricks for the purpose of venting the void beneath. The sub-floors in these houses are solid concret and sit just below DPC level.
You can clearly see in pic1 that the airbrick (cavity wall vent) sits below DPC level.

Concrete slab sub-floors DO NOT have airbricks !!!!!!!

Interesting aswell that in pic1 the top step of the block paving sits above the DPC clearly bridging the dampcourse !! Wern't building reg's on site when they did this ?

I carry out a RH test according to Bristish Standards, not just sniff about like you.

And no, i don't install dodgy, creaking, bouncy floating floors with a lifespan of 10 yrs at best on concrete. I lay a DPM, screed and fully bond. Then we have a solid floor that doesn't bounce or creak, sounds as it should (not hollow, like floating) and should last 100 years or more!!

So in your professional opinion these have nothing to do with the house climate and are not worth checking to see if they're causing problems.

Glad I'm only a "amateur with a shop front". And you still haven't read my "essay" again or just don't (want to) understand what it says about checking for damp/moist. Have it your way.

now you are just arguing for the sake of it.

Just admit there is no substance to what you are saying. And no, those are cavity wall vents, and have nothing to do with concrete sub-floors.

If they were airbricks that vent voids under wooden sub-floors then yes they would be checked as a matter of course, it takes 2 seconds to look through one and few more seconds to clear if they are blocked. I doubt a cobweb in a cavity wall vent would seriously change the house climate lol.

Where are you getting your ideas from ? your book ?

Not much point in clearing them out in this case though if the builders have already bridged the dampcourse!! Something you would have spotted i presume while sniffing for damp !!

What essay ? All i've read is nonsense sso far !!

Just as a follow up to this, I eventually moved into the new house and laid the new oak floor via the floating method (over concrete and a foil/foam layer). This time, to avoid any creaks at all, I was very thorough (and a lot more generous) with the PVA. Worked a treat - zero creaking. I'm happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back