harwood floor, oiling with vegetable oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I noticed in some fitting instructions for some oiled hardwood flooring the following things, are these really correct?

1. to clean NEVER use only clean water?

2. to re-oil, you can use vegetable??

Anyone got any thoughts?

I've tried a test piece of hardwood, which I've treated with vegetable oil, and it looks & feels great!

Just curious if anyone has any comments?

The instructions also talk about trip-trap products.

cheers

Az

Sponsored Links
Vegetable oil will eventually go rancid, much better off with mineral oil.

nstreet said:
Vegetable oil will eventually go rancid, much better off with mineral oil.

breezer said:
i was also thinking it will smell like a chip shop

Sorry, boys. Both wrong ;)

The original Hardwax Oil is based on natural vegetable oils and waxes. Natural oils and waxes penetrate deeply into the wood, keeping it elastic and healthy, and preventing it from getting dry and brittle. The wood is allowed to breathe. Moisture can evaporate. Shrinking and swelling are reduced. It is micro-porous and does not crack, flake, peel or blister. Therefore it is an ideal treatment even in rooms with high humidity.

See here for more info.

Sponsored Links
i was also thinking it will smell like a chip shop

personally, I think this is a positive...

:D

Thanks, WoodYouLike especially.

Az

Sorry, boys. Both wrong ;)

The original Hardwax Oil is based on natural vegetable oils and waxes.

If you oil wood with vegetable oil (olive oil, corn oil etc) it WILL go rancid, whereas mineral oil will not.

What was the point of your question?, to boost your already enlarged ego is my guess. :evil:

nstreet said:
If you oil wood with vegetable oil (olive oil, corn oil etc) it WILL go rancid, whereas mineral oil will not.

Yes, you're right IF pure olive oil etc is used. But line-seed etc = vegetable oil also.
More a question ;) of understanding the correct meaning of the word vegetable in this subject :evil:

Sorry WoodYouLike, too many W's theWilse and WoodYouLike got mixed up in my half awake saturday morning brain.

But, we are both wrong. All vegetable oils including linseed will go rancid except for one exception and that is olive oil, which surprised me. Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back