Has Anyone Submitted Larger Extension Applications

Sponsored Links
[/quote]

Even if a neighbour obects, the LPA is still only allowed to assess the proposal in terms of amenity.

[/quote]

Is it fair to assume that any judgement about loss of amenity will have to follow the same criteria as current planning applications. Last week I reduced an application from 4.2m to 3.7m because it had a 'significant loss of amenity to the neighbours'. If there is new criteria for planning officers to assess weather these large extensions do cause a loss of amenity to neighbours then it will be useful ammunition for getting some ludicrously large extensions through the planning process. I would assume that if there are any objections then a planning officer will side with the neighbour.

Even if a neighbour obects, the LPA is still only allowed to assess the proposal in terms of amenity.

[/quote]

Is it fair to assume that any judgement about loss of amenity will have to follow the same criteria as current planning applications. Last week I reduced an application from 4.2m to 3.7m because it had a 'significant loss of amenity to the neighbours'. If there is new criteria for planning officers to assess weather these large extensions do cause a loss of amenity to neighbours then it will be useful ammunition for getting some ludicrously large extensions through the planning process. I would assume that if there are any objections then a planning officer will side with the neighbour.[/quote]

It could be assumed that in practice, if a neighbour objects to a large extension, the council will decide that anything above 3m (if attached) would be harmful to amenity.
They will do this to try and get an application in, and hence a fee.

One of the most objectionable parts of this new legislation is that it is so arbitrary. On any particular street, one neighbour may not object to a large extension, while one a few doors down might. With the old system, everyone knew where they stood.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back