Has anyone tried these? Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi what do you guys/gals think of the following I saw in Homebase at the weekend?:

1. A length of flexible copper pipe (about 12" that could connect to either solder or compression joints at either end)

2. Push fit copper connectors (straights, elbows, tees, etc)

I can see hwe benefit of both but what's your experience of them. I'd like some expert opinion before I purchase! :)

Sponsored Links
Was it ribbed? If so I know what you mean, but they are what I would call a DIY fix, I doubt any decent plumber would ever use them.

Sponsored Links
copper push fit from homebase are a bit ****. flex pipe is crap looks horrible and i have been told it can reduce the speed of the water due to the ribbed bits

The corrugated pipes are called plumbers sticks and they certainly have their uses.....however like all copper they do work harden if bent too often. They are also too thin to use a pipe slice with.
They can be re - softened by annealing.
Last time I used one was a 22mm in a loft, connecting two parallel tanks where the tank fittings on the bottom were 6mm out. Just the job.
The cupro fit copper push together fittings also work well - expensive though!
John :)

Unless they are going to be on show, don't waste your money on copper push-fit.
Get the plastic Speedfit or HEP20 versions. The internal seals and grab rings will be the same, you're just paying a lot extra for the brass body.

The question I rwas really asking was are push fit fittings reliable regardless of the material? They just sound too good to be true!

Yes, they are reliable. Just read the instructions before you use them, especially where chrome pipe is concerned.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back