Has my Saunier Duval 620F kicked the bucket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an SD620F, which for a while has been making a bang (a much louder than normal ignition) as the hot tap is turned on and something (not sure if it is the fan or pump that can be heard) seemed to be excessively noisy. Now, the boiler is not working at all. There is no hot water/central heating.When the green button is held, the ignition sparks but the pilot light does not light, and there is no noise from the fan/pump (again not sure which would normally be heard). There is 1.5 bar pressure.

Is it possible that something can be repaired to remedy this problem, even if very short term as we're due to get married on Saturday and then we're away on honeymoon, so money is tight? Typical!

Many thanks,

BS...

Sponsored Links
Wedding £20,000 but spend FA on the boiler :rolleyes:

Due to the age, extortionate price of some parts and long labour time, these boilers are normally a lost cause.

You will be lucky to find anyone willing to look at it, most insurance schemes (eg BG) will just throw parts at it so it becomes a long protracted affair since engineers are unfamiliar with such an old boiler.

Sponsored Links
Dangermouse why do you allways suggest manufacturers repair for most boiler problems on this forum surely this is a job for any competent boiler engineer, Why give the work to them?

AH you can't have worked on these old dinosaurs...just to stop them leaking needs a pump, reversing valve, hose set, arch kit is easily a £400 repair.....some parts prices have gone up so much they're not worth looking at. By now most fan bearings are shot, heat exchangers scaled up.....

Yes but do you honestly think that they would still cover all those faults in one fixed price repair . I would just carry out the repair the fault highlight any further problems and take the money and run . By the way i'm still repairing these and elm leblanc on a regular bassis if the part is a vailable i will repair it

no mate, but made me laugh, think you could of worded it bit better :)
Anyway, we all see what happened with shops, supermarkets drove all the small guys out of town and customers helped cos cost always comes first.
Maybe the heating business is next :confused:

Well, managed to get a mate of a mate to take a look at it for me, and it's the fan motor. Got quoted £145 ex VAT, and that's with his 25% discount! Found a refurbed one on eBay for £50, which is being FedExed out today. I managed to get the old one running again, just, with a whole load of WD40, but God only knows how long that will last.

Happy days are here again, just got to hope nothing else goes wrong before the Wedding on Saturday :confused:

Cheers guys,

BS...

I hope you realise those fans are NOT refurbed.....they are a bodge job....they are not original motors and often the fan impellers are a different size ie. the airflow can vary from the manufacturers intended flowrate perhaps compromising safety. Your "mate" should not be fitting these fans.

I hope you realise those fans are NOT refurbed.....they are a bodge job....they are not original motors and often the fan impellers are a different size ie. the airflow can vary from the manufacturers intended flowrate perhaps compromising safety. Your "mate" should not be fitting these fans.

i agree. they're not to makers spec and therefore not fit for purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back