has the building trade shut up shop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have had two building company phone suspending works till late next year quoting finace as the problem, :cry: anybody eles going to same,,its starting to bite hear in Cumbria :(

Sponsored Links
Work started last week to build new buildings atthe back of my employers premises (pump house for sprinklers etc)

This morning work started in a muli trillion pound extension to the front of the building.

Its not stopped here :D

we have had two building company phone suspending works till late next year quoting finace as the problem, :cry: anybody eles going to same,,its starting to bite hear in Cumbria :(

So they are stopping work because they don't have money? Sounds a bit backwards really!!!

Is this because the materials suppliers all want cash up front now? Or don't they have money to pay their builders' wages?

they said the full financial packet is not in place :confused: whatever that means

Sponsored Links
It means that they have not been paid fully yet either. :D

A developer friend of mine here in Norfolk had built nothing but new properties for 10 years; he wouldn’t touch extensions or jobbing work & wouldn’t even help here with my renovation! Then it all dried & with nothing selling at all, it looked pretty grim for him with a company O/D on land & properties he’d bought that were in the pipeline for development. A seriously negative cash flow meant had to sell all his expensive toys, (& he had some very nice ones :cry: ), rent out the properties he had that were habitable & cut back on everything but staff costs & essentials.

Interestingly 6 months later he can’t believe the amount of extensions & jobbing work he’s picking up & it’s easily covering his staff & personal costs at the moment. It seems to be where the money (for those that have it!) is going at the moment here in EA; not sure how long it will last but it’s certainly been a life saver for him. He's a survivor & deserves the luck break but I tease him at every opportunity that he won’t get offered any more of my work here cos he originally shunned building my carpy extension! :LOL:

Put all your eggs in one basket..........

Guy I know had 40 plumbers working for him a year ago he has 4 now. He only did new build work which has pretty much dried up now :(

He is advertising for heating and general plumbing work now and seems to be picking up some work :cool:

we're the same ,we only did big new jobs & large refurbs etc but will do any thing now :cry:

The big builders use the Banks money to fund the construction, and the banks are just a little short themselves at the moment, hence nowt much going on.

I've been to a local builders merchant 3 times in the past week. Usually, they are very busy and you have to wait to get served but not now. The guys are sitting around with little to do and two newish staff members have disappeared. The bloke who served me said that all 3 merchants in the town are feeling the pinch and that redundancies are definitely on the cards.

Sponsored Links
Back