Hatch to subfloor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just running this by people who know more than me!

I am trying to create access to the subfloor under the stairs.

I managed to get 2 planks off but not enough space to get myself down without crashing into the mains supply cable.

so I want to cut the 3rd plank to the left of these.

I intend to saw through as much as I can with a hand saw and then use a multi oscillating to get through the rest, trying to avoid cutting into the joist.

if anyone has any comments or experience on this let me know as I have a habit of going off half cock and damaging things?

thanks

68C1C6C9-D1DA-40B5-B6F7-4E3F44788E1D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter if you go into the joist a small amount. Mark the depth of the cut on your multi tool blade and use that as a depth guide.

The alternate option is to cut the board to the side of the joist using the joist as a cut guide for you hand saw and then fix a baton to the each joist to support the shorter cut board.

I'd just cut the board with a multi tool if you have one.

PS why do you need access to the sub floor? I'd stick my head down the hole before you start cutting any more boards and make sure that there isn't a dwarf wall or similar that blocks off you access to wherever under the subfloor you're trying to gain access to.

It doesn't matter if you go into the joist a small amount. Mark the depth of the cut on your multi tool blade and use that as a depth guide.

The alternate option is to cut the board to the side of the joist using the joist as a cut guide for you hand saw and then fix a baton to the each joist to support the shorter cut board.

I'd just cut the board with a multi tool if you have one.

I have one yes. I can mark on it and I guess if I am a MM or 2 either way it doesn’t matter.

ive already knackered my boiler this week I just wanted to check this now in case I was adding structural collapse to my litany of DIY failures !

as far as I can see it’s a floorboard, not a joist I’m cutting hence makes no different to the integrity of the floor unless I cut in the middle as you say and don’t baton it

cool thanks for your help

Ok so I have made the cuts successfully

The one joist in the middle it’s nailed into, I cannot budge the nails it’s stuck fast.

bolster chisel under then crowbar?

I got a nail punch and the heads are tiny. Punch them in?

Sponsored Links
Mallet from underneath through the adjacent hole to create a bit of space for a crowbar or get the claw of your claw hammer under the edge of the board and use that for leverage instead.

Ok so I got under but here’s the punchline - it’s blocked off so totally pointless, can only access a small area.

The main thing I wanted was access to the entire subfloor but now basically when my flooring goes down it will have to come up if I want to access under the dining room etc.

bah!

I presume laminate planks will come up like they go down - ie you can just remove from one end and access? Bit of work I guess but won’t mean I need a new floor fitted?

i appreciate flooring should come last but my wife is nagging for solid floors!

Ok so I got under but here’s the punchline - it’s blocked off so totally pointless, can only access a small area.

In what way is it blocked? If it's just a rough support wall, you could make an access gap in it, providing you install a lintel to bridge it.

Laminate floor isn't designed to be repeatedly fitted and then lifted. You can lift it, but i suggest that you work on the basis that once you've fitted it you won't be lifting it again.

I suggest you slow down a bit, resist the nagging from your wife, and make sure you only have to do jobs once.

Laminate floor isn't designed to be repeatedly fitted and then lifted. You can lift it, but i suggest that you work on the basis that once you've fitted it you won't be lifting it again.

I suggest you slow down a bit, resist the nagging from your wife, and make sure you only have to do jobs once.

haha I’ve bought it all now!

too late!

Well, tell her it needs to sit unused in the house, whilst it acclimatises :)

seriously though - I don’t foresee any work needing doing except for a new boiler when my current one packs in. That could be 2 years could be 20.

it’s not like I imminently foresee needing to use the space. I just thought it would be good to have access.

the last boiler enginer said they wouldn’t need to use it - they can stick a combi there without new pipework.

it’s good quality quickstep stuff. I will have to chance it that it may have to come up and down one time. Not repeatedly obviously

seriously though - I don’t foresee any work needing doing except for a new boiler when my current one packs in. That could be 2 years could be 20.

You absolutely know if you say that, you will need access several times :)

There are all sorts of reasons you may need quick none disruptive access in the future - extra sockets, fixing leaking pipes, just checking for damp and rot down there. If you can find you can make access, I would certainly do it.

it’s not like I imminently foresee needing to use the space. I just thought it would be good to have access.

the last boiler enginer said they wouldn’t need to use it - they can stick a combi there without new pipework.

it’s good quality quickstep stuff. I will have to chance it that it may have to come up and down one time. Not repeatedly obviously
If your concern relates to boiler replacement, crack on and fit the floor. If you planning to fit the floor and then take it back up again to do work that you know will need doing after, do the other work first.

Bear in mind that to take the floor up you'll probably have to take the skirting off which also means redecorating, so don't underestimate the amount of work required even if the floor is reusable.

You absolutely know if you say that, you will need access several times :)

There are all sorts of reasons you may need quick none disruptive access in the future - extra sockets, fixing leaking pipes, just checking for damp and rot down there. If you can find you can make access, I would certainly do it.

I don’t see how it’s possible! I am laminating the entire downstairs….

I thought I could make a small hatch near the the edge..so you only need to take up a few laminate planks and not the entire floor to get a plank up? The planks are about 3m long.

I suppose though , IF I need to take it up, I can always just cut a hatch at that point. No need to do it now.

why on earth is this so damn hard. That’s what I want to know.

each room appears to be enclosed by brick on all sides, so I can’t get one access point - you can’t go from room to room under there.

each room appears to be enclosed by brick on all sides, so I can’t get one access point - you can’t go from room to room under there.

That is unusual construction, they normally have lots of gaps to enable air to flow under the floor, to prevent joint and floor rot, plus of course access below without making lots of access holes in the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back