Hate Crime Incident

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18243

Police turn up en masse to Essex pub and confiscate collection of golliwogs.

This once again confirms my theory that the police, in the main, only act in cases where they are unlikely to face any physical resistance; they are weak and cowardly. I've seen the police drive away from fights and mobs several times, when it is their paid duty to stop those fights and mobs.

Sponsored Links
Five officers? Mind you, it was in Essex. It would have only taken one person behind the bar to remove them though. (y)

Five officers? Mind you, it was in Essex. It would have only taken one person behind the bar to remove them though. (y)

The police had to calm this lot down.

Screenshot_20230410_085042_Google.jpg

Two arrests were made.

Sponsored Links
So was it a hate crime or a hate incident? The police don't seem to know.

West Midlands Police have been cracking down on abusive language directed towards vegetarians. They seem to think it's a protected characteristic. (it isn't). Apparently the officers are now banned from calling each other turnips and mushrooms.

West Midlands Police have been cracking down on abusive language directed towards vegetarians. They seem to think it's a protected characteristic. (it isn't). Apparently the officers are now banned from calling each other turnips and mushrooms.

Good job mechanics are made of sterner stuff.

I can't imagine not being able to throw "Spanner!" around, where warranted. ;)

The landlady of a pub whose collection of golliwog dolls was confiscated by police has assembled replacements, which she plans to display in defiance of a continuing investigation.

The dolls divide opinion in Grays. On Tuesday some pub regulars turned up to show support, but others expressed their fury. The pub’s landlady, Benice Ryley, 62, refuses to accept they are racist.

Clutching an armful of the dolls, including three that have been donated by supporters, she said: “I’m going to put them back.”

She added: “I’m getting a notice printed saying ‘We’ve got gollies on display, if you find this offensive please don’t come in’. If they don’t like them they can walk out the door.”

The landlady of a pub whose collection of golliwog dolls was confiscated by police has assembled replacements, which she plans to display in defiance of a continuing investigation.

The dolls divide opinion in Grays. On Tuesday some pub regulars turned up to show support, but others expressed their fury. The pub’s landlady, Benice Ryley, 62, refuses to accept they are racist.

Clutching an armful of the dolls, including three that have been donated by supporters, she said: “I’m going to put them back.”

She added: “I’m getting a notice printed saying ‘We’ve got gollies on display, if you find this offensive please don’t come in’. If they don’t like them they can walk out the door.”
It would be interesting to know, from a business perspective, what percentage of their regular (or semi-regular) customers find them offensive and indeed passing trade. I suspect it has to be a minority, otherwise you'd think it would make sense to remove them, unless they ultimately don't care if the business survives.

Please don't start jumping down my throat re it's their right to display them etc etc, I'm referring to this purely from a business perspective.

Dolls are meant to be a play thing for kids and so should be the least likely thing to cause offence. If they were only made in white there would soon be a lot of moaning! Sometimes some people have too much time on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back