Have a Hammer Drill, got a Combi Drill as present.. which to keep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

as a normal non-pro DIY guy with some home projects and smaller renovations here and there, I have been quite happy with my Bosch PSB 650 RE Hammer Drill.
Someone meant it really well with me and gave me for my birthday a cordless Bosch Universal Impact 18 Combi Drill.

I definitely wouldn't want to keep both, but I am not sure if the cordless one can replace my conventional drill (and I don't want to test it, because up to now, the cordless is still un-opened and can be exchanged).

I do need to be able to get through the occasional stubborn part of the wall (sturdy 1930ies house), but I am by no means a power user.

Will the UniversalImpact 18 serve? Because cordless would be a charm ..

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
if its a true impact its mainly heavy screw driving will a bit off drilling and holes
where as a hammer drill is mainly holes but no screwing
the best is [battery]hammer drill driver

The bosch impact is not an impact like I use at work with the hammer driving action with over 100 newtons. I don't know if a typo or its called an impact for marketing but it's not an impact drill. This came up as a question recently on another forum regarding the drill driver. You currently own a hammer drill to drill with, and a cordless drill that will also put screws in. Perfect. Why would you get rid of one... That's assuming I have it correct.

This is just a drill driver.. Yours?

99% the drilling I have or will need to do around the house is within the capabilities of my 12v Bosch drills.

Sponsored Links
If I could only keep one, then I would keep the cordless drill. The other bosch drill is not suitable for driving in screws. The corded drill will continue to spin after you have driven a screw home, the cordless will stop once you release the trigger, it will also have a torque limiter than (when set) will prevent you from over tightening the screw. Down sides? Possibly heavier, you have to charge the battery. Batteries degrade in time and need replacing.

From time to time I have to drill holes in concrete window lintels- neither of your drills would be up to that (you need an SDS drill) but if you have fairly soft bricks and plaster, these days you don't even need the hammer action turned on if you are using better quality "universal" drill bits.

Hi all,

thanks for your replies!
I do believe that the UniversalImpact 18 is meant to be for more than just driving screws or drilling into soft wood. If you look at their website, it mentions:
"Screwdriving and drilling in wood and metal, impact drilling in masonry "
and
"thanks to 20 different torque settings and drilling and impact drilling selections"

So I would expect it to provide the typical hammering action for drilling into harder stuff, most likely just not with the force of a corded one.

Why not keep both? I really have a space problem and already a few things I rarely use but are just too good to lack in "that certain situation". I love the idea of having a cordless one, but I can drive a screw with a manual ratchet, but I can't drill a hole without a proper drill

thats because its a hammer drill driver and not an impact :D
percussion is the more usual description(y)

Ahh, ok, seems I need to rethink it a bit. Just in my defense (other than being your average amateur diy guy): On the box of the UniversalImpact 18 it says in German "Schlagbohrmaschine", which is the exact same term used for my PSB 650 RE. To add to the confusion, John Lewis lists the Hammer Drill 650 as an Impact Drill..

So my question then is, can a (cordless!) Impact Drill replace in my case a Hammer Drill?
From what I read, the Impact Drill will show the white flag when you hit concrete. I really don't know if I ever did hit concrete in my wall (mostly brick, I think)

I hate parting with tools, for whatever reason, so I'm sure there is a space somewhere in your home to 'store' one of the drills. Back of the cupboard under the stairs? On top of a wardrobe out of sight? A gardening shed/greenhouse?

Ahh, ok, seems I need to rethink it a bit. Just in my defense (other than being your average amateur diy guy): On the box of the UniversalImpact 18 it says in German "Schlagbohrmaschine", which is the exact same term used for my PSB 650 RE. To add to the confusion, John Lewis lists the Hammer Drill 650 as an Impact Drill..

So my question then is, can a (cordless!) Impact Drill replace in my case a Hammer Drill?
From what I read, the Impact Drill will show the white flag when you hit concrete. I really don't know if I ever did hit concrete in my wall (mostly brick, I think)

Neither of your drills will cope with hard concrete. You will need an SDS drill for hard bricks and concrete.

The following might help to explain the difference

https://www.familyhandyman.com/arti...crete-tools-rotary-hammers-and-hammer-drills/

Your cordless can do everything that your corded drill can do, plus it can be used as a screw driver. If you only keep one, keep the cordless. Personally I would keep both though. The corded will be better if you need to drill lots of holes in one hit and you don't need to worry about waiting for the battery to charge.

Your cordless can do everything that your corded drill can do, plus it can be used as a screw driver. If you only keep one, keep the cordless. Personally I would keep both though. The corded will be better if you need to drill lots of holes in one hit and you don't need to worry about waiting for the battery to charge.

Hi Opps,

now that is the kind of comparison I had in mind. My corded one has done everything I needed to up to now. I just wasn't sure if the cordless one would be able to all the same tasks (with the need of regular recharging of course).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back