Have a look

With certain Colours/shades when touching up this can often happen, thinning the paint a little can sometimes help yet covering the entire area is often he only way of achieving a uniform finish.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I will try thinning the paint, how much water should i use there is about 2.5 litres remaining in the tin, would a little white masonry paint work to lighten the colour or better to stick with water?

Firstly dont go down the mixing route that would be going down the road to disaster, a slight thinning of the paint should have really been done when you first found the need to touch up certain areas, yet doing so may still not have cured your problem.

Doing so at this stage will be of little to no value to you now, and you should really consider painting the entire area.

Dec

TheDec when you say the entire area do you mean all the bits around the house that have been painted spice or just the offending wall and between the steps?

Sponsored Links
sorry for all the questions but should i thin the paint if so how much water should i use.
Do you think there could have been something wrong with that tin of paint?

bikeit -

When you buy tins of paint off the shelf, these tins, usually (not always) haven't got a B.S number (British standard) and therefore, can be a problem with shading as they're not all going to be the same colour whereas the B.S ones should be.

If it's a B.S tin, it will say it on the front.

When using these off the shelf tins, it's best to open a couple as you're working and mix them in a bucket and continue this way to try to ensure the uniformity of colour.

The tins don't have BS numbers, the paint is made in Ireland.
I tried thinning the paint but it has made little to no difference so i am going to buy another tin of the same paint and see it that makes any difference, maybe i got a dodgy tin of paint

Difference in colours like this can be due to two or three main reasons.

The paint hasn't been stirred properly (which we know you did)

Separation of pigment (mainly caused by the above, but in cheaper paints i'm not sure the pigment is ever really properly dispersed and bound in the paint)

Different batch numbers (something a lot of people don't realise is that paint has different batch numbers and must alway be matched, obviously only applicable to pre-mixed).

Even BS numbers will have slight difference in depth of colour and shade because of the quirks of each individual tinting machine and quality of pigment used by the manufacturer.

So do you think i am right to go and buy another tin of paint, the way the paint is at the minute it is annoying me looking at it :cry: :cry:

Update
I bought a new tin of Crown Weathercoat give it a good stir before and during the repainting job and it too has dried out the same as before.
could there be something wrong with this batch of paint,
Was going to ring Crown to see what they think.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :( :(

Sorry about the problems you are having, and I can't advise, but just want to know how long you spent in preperation.

Given the finish, you obviously got it right.

When you say preparation do you mean on the walls the woodwork or the gates?

I have never ever had a problem with British standard paints...especially masonry paints. Can't see the point in picking odd colours rather than the tried and tested.

That's why, I steer clear of non B. S colours.

The simplest way to find out if it is the paint that is faulty would be to try it on another section that isn't already patchy/streaky. If that dries the same then you will know it's the paint but if it dries out evenly then there is probably some underlying cause within that part of the wall which is causing the problem (possibly excessive moisture within the wall causing the paint surfactants to leach as it dries).

Excellent job, by the way. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back