Have a look

Growler what are BS paints? surely Spice from Crown is not an odd colour.

Sponsored Links
I have tried the paint on other walls and a window sill they are all drying out streaky / patchy.
I even used different brushes small, large and a small roller is does not make any difference.
I have even tried putting it on thinly, thickly and slightly watered down but it still dries out crap.

Image0209.jpg

Image0211.jpg

Image0212.jpg

Hmm, your best bet then is to contact Crown. If you send them an email you could attach some of the pics so that they can see for themselves exactly what is happening.
You could be right that it is just a dodgy batch.

Hope you can sort it out - it must be gutting after all the effort you've put in. :(

Sponsored Links
bikeit

Are you still trying to apply your paint to late at night when the air moisture content would be far to high.

Dec

The Dec i listened to your advise from earlier and will never paint late any more, i painted the walls about 11.00am this morning

It looks to me that the pigment is separating, if you've stirred it thoroughly and keep stirring it during use this shouldn't happen and it could be a problem with the paint. Cant see how not being a BS number makes a difference i've applied hundreds of non BS colours and not had this problem.

Make sure your applying with a clean brush and not stirring the paint with that brush as it will catch pigment and brush out streaky.

Think you now need to talk to the manufacturer.

When you say you are stirring your paint are you pushing your mixing stick to the bottom of the tin in order to release the pigment, you may also be over brushing your paint, doing so can tend to take the paint off rather than on.

Dec

Cant see how not being a BS number makes a difference i've applied hundreds of non BS colours and not had this problem.

Because he previously said
the bottom step has dried out all the one colour with no streaking but it is a lot darker, how can i get this colour to match the other spice coloured bits around the house that have been painted.

It may also, be more than 1 problem.

It maybe surfactant leaching, I had a similar problem recently, this is more prone to happen with dark colours in masonry paint. If this is the case it will weather off in a few months time, moisture settling on the wet paint brings the surfactants (detergents) to the surface of the paint causing streaking.

Update:
Rang Crown paint this morning and they had a rep in my area on business , he called to the house had a look at the paint and admitted there was a problem, so he is going to get me some more paint with a different batch number to try, he rang a few local paint shops but the paint they had in stock had the same batch number as i had.
Funny thing was he received a call while he was with me from someone else complaining about interior emulsion that was drying patchy and streaky.

Only getting back to you all now.
Got the paint with a different batch number and i have repainted all the offending walls and they have all dried out perfect.
I am one happy chappie. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

so what did the Crown rep do?

I hope they gave you some sort of compensation.

Glad you got it sorted

He asked who done the painting, i told him it was me, so he said that the prep work could have been the fault, so when i told him that i had been painting for 25 years (little white lie) he said that it might be the paint. so he got me a new tin with a different batch number which is perfect. he never mentioned compensation, but i will ring the rep tomorrow and mention it to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back