Have any of you ever fitted this type of drop link ? done it now but what a nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago I replaced the rear drop links on my vectra C, I thought it was a nightmare of a job , it was so complicated putting them back onto the roll bar.

Am I missing something or are they naturally a pita to replace ?

thanks

192708-f84d0ff019d38b473b4e649d8d9c0aa8.jpg

Attachments

• topcat_61488024.jpg
    topcat_61488024.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
It depends on the access I guess - the only problems I've come across is that the anti roll bar springs out of the way so either I have a small jack handy or I wedge the roll bar in position before removing the stabilisers. I seem to cut more of these things off more than unbolting them!
John :)

Sponsored Links
He makes it look easy because he is a pro, he knows what he is doing, he's got it up in the air, he's done it before and, he's got the proper tools.
I imagine you were struggling to get under yours in your driveway with some not very suitable tools?

Last edited:
He makes it look easy because he is a pro, he knows what he is doing, he's got it up in the air, he's done it before and, he's got the proper tools.
I imagine you were struggling to get under yours in your driveway with some not very suitable tools?

Across many different forums I read page after page of people who are mechnaics saying how the job of changing these is a pita, and that is coming from mechanics themselves.

I just wondered what you guy's thought of the job of changing these out if you thought ti was as bad as it seems ?

The Autodoc how to videos on YT show how to do the job. If you have bother, you have to resolve it.

I've been watching Live Below Zero on Quest OD. The series is about living in the Alaskan wilderness. One of the people is a woman who runs a fuel station. In the episode I watched, she was trying to remove the cat tracks of a mobile crane so she could change the rubber rollers. Quite a task.

Life Below Zero, I know who you mean, she has balls of steel, that said the whole programme is full of tough nuts.

Across many different forums I read page after page of people who are mechnaics saying how the job of changing these is a pita, and that is coming from mechanics themselves.

I just wondered what you guy's thought of the job of changing these out if you thought ti was as bad as it seems ?

It's a piece of cake if, you have everything I mentioned in #5.
Not all of the people claiming to be mechanics actually will be.

You seem to be starting out in your career as DIY mechanic. These jobs require experience and know how which you develop as you go so don't loose heart. Even the F1 lads had to learn. They weren't born able to do a wheel change in 3 seconds.

You seem to be starting out in your career as DIY mechanic. These jobs require experience and know how which you develop as you go so don't loose heart. Even the F1 lads had to learn. They weren't born able to do a wheel change in 3 seconds.
Hi,
Yes I am learning slowly. I have learned so much from YouTube some of the tutorials are excellent, and of course you guy's have helped a lot with the drive belt. Now that I can change drive belts I am also able to do alternators etc if needs be.

I have done calipers discs and pads, cv joint boots (over cone method ) drop links, track rods, steering arms, wheel bearing, exhausts, glow -plugs, servicing, throttle bodies, many other things too.
It is good to do your own work because you know the situation better with the car, can't believe when mechanics say they did this and that you always question whether they tell the truth.

thank you for your kind words

Often, it makes a difference where the wheel on the OPPOSITE side is. If you only jack one side of the car up, there will be a twist down the anti-roll bar (that's it's job, of course!) and there will be a fair bit of load on it. The manufacturer will have built the car so that the load on the droplink bushes is least when the car is sat at "mid-laden" on all 4 wheels on level ground.

I often find that when I'm struggling with a droplink, jacking the OTHER side of the car up can help take the load off the bar a bit and make it easier to line things up.

Sponsored Links
Back