Have I been ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my central heating fixed due to an issue I posted here: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/boiler-firing-up-when-heating-hw-off.327013/

Anyway the Heating Engineer has given me a bill of £240 to replace a faulty Honeywell motorised valve. He was here for 3 hours 45 minutes and had to partially drain the system in the process. The valve cost £65 which he said was overpriced as they are normally £40 (it was bought locally and I have receipt). It just seemed a long time and a lot of money but I'm no expert!

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did you not get a price for the repair?

I don't know where you live in the country but if it's south 175 notes for nearly 4 hours work is a bargain

I would expect that

Is it repaired

Remember you are paying for the knowledge we have not just the time, we are skilled tradesman not shelf stackers

If you don't like big payouts in 1 go I would advise some sort of cover plan

I got a price upfront of £40 for the valve plus labour. He spent half the time waxing lyrical with me which annoyed me.
Sorry, no offence intended by my post. Like I said, I am no expert and just wanted to check. I was only concerned because it's the second time we've had the motorised valve replaced and last time it was a lot cheaper and much quicker repair.

thats about fine...As Ollie says its knowledge and skill you are paying for...

Sponsored Links
3 hours 45 mins to replace a motorised valve @ £240!!!
You, my friend have been thoroughly shafted. :eek:
2 or 3 jobs like that a week.............easy money.

3 hours 45 mins to replace a motorised valve @ £240!!!
You, my friend have been thoroughly shafted. :eek:
2 or 3 jobs like that a week.............easy money.

I've got to agree with 45YOGM, bloody ell!! I wish we could get jobs like that!!

Funny thing is; that you didn't get 'Roy Rogers' to fit a couple of full bore lever valves either side of your Mid-poss valve??!! Next time your valve goes on the blink it would take 10 minutes to replace, well maybe a 1/2hour..................... ;)

Anybody that prices for repairs really is asking for trouble IMHO

The sum charged does seem reasonable and certainly not excessive I feel that if you were pleased and his workmanship was satisfactory then be extremely happy because I have Witnessed very poor installations/repairs that have cost a small fortune !!

It really depends where you are.. In London and the south east any competent technician will be charging around that...

If you are in the less affluent parts of the UK then it may be a different matter...

Price is about right but if I took 3 1/2 hours to do jobs like that my house would have been repossessed by now.

Unless I charged for all that time. In which case it would cost @£350 inc vat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back