Have I been scammed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, This is my first post, motivated by a feeling that I have not been charged fairly for work undertaken. This may be a long one, so please bear with me. I have an alpha combi boiler, but of late it has been struggling to heat the water. I called in a plumber who changed the diaphram, and it seemed a bit improved. But gradually it got worse, and it was a struggle to get any hot water at all. The pressure needle would go really high and then sometimes, while running the hot tap the needle would go mad, while the boiler made funny loud slurping noises, and then you could see the needle pressure drop below the green.

Another plumber came and he ummed and ahhed and said, I know what it is, its the diverter valve. I will come back tomorrow and change it. He turned up at about 10am, and opened up the boiler again, and started ringing suppliers to get the diverter valve. He said the shop could not find one on the stock list but there maybe one of the shelf, and that they were too busy to look for him, so off he went to look in the shop round the corner for a valve. He came back 30ish minutes later empty handed.

I know he said, I think there may be one in my garage. Off he goes again and after about 45 minutes, comes back with one.....Allelujah, a miracle! He said he got it ages ago for a job that he didnt end up doing, so it was just lying around. Next, he puts on this new valve, changing some washers etc, but the water is still not right. I know what to try now, he says. I will clean out the heat exchanger with acid. It may be gunked up. He does this which takes about 5 minutes, and then puts it back in. I have no idea if he tested the water after this.

Then he says its still not right, and starts faffing about saying he needs to descale some elements, but has run out of acid stuff. I need to go and buy some in Sainsburys, he says. So off he goes for about an hour. Comes back, and I assume descales something or other. Oh dear he is still not happy. Now he says he needs something called a dimister??? and he does not have one, so he will have to come back tomorrow or monday.

He leaves about 5pm, so about 7 hours work (we live in sussex), or 5 if you take off all the time in Sainsburys, the plumb centre shop and going home to his garage (considering he said the day before he knew that it was the valve, I was a bit nonplussed as to why he did not check his garage before he came to mine, thereby saving a lot of time...but then time is money!!!!).

Anyway after he left the water seemed fine. The pressure was stable and there was not more erratic needle behaviour. Me and my family were able to have several baths and showers with no problems. Please understand, I am happy to have hot water again, but dubious as to the length of time it took to fix. I suspect a lot of faffing went on to justify the high charge.

He came back Monday with the new dimister??? thingy, but after trying it he said it didnt work. ( I had been hiding upstairs because I did not want to talk to him, so didnt really know what he was doing, but it only took him a few minutes. So he rang someone and came back to us (I had come out of hiding by now), and said it needed a new heat exchanger. I told him the water had been fine since he left so did not want to pay for any new parts or labour costs. He said he had just run the hot tap and it cut off after 30 seconds. I said we had run several baths and showers since he left saturday and that it had not cut out once. He said that shouldnt be the case and looked sceptical, but I think he could tell by my face that I was fed up, so he took his last check of £50 (now making a grand total of £380).

I told my mum I was dubious and she asked me if he left a bill with a break down of costs, and i said no, so I am going to text him today to ask for one. I get very intimidated by tradesmen, but I do want to know if I was treated fairly, and if not then I will query the bill. This guy does a lot of work for a friend who co owns a property management company with her dad, and she gave me his number. He maybe charge her fairly because she puts a lot of work his way, or maybe he is not being fair to her, but because I assume she is not around to know how long he takes, and what he is doing when he is doing the work, (I assume its usually her tentants who are there, and they dont pay). Anyway any thoughts on this job would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you break the post down into paragraphs, people might then read it. Cheers

Hi

Is your boiler working now?

£380 dosent seem that steep, parts are expensive but I don't do gas work.

No need to feel intimadated by tradesmen, we are just as scared of you as you are of us. :LOL:

PS I've only breifed this post on my Blackberry, I will re read on laptop tonight.

Sounds reasonable to me, you called a guy in, he fixed it, you paid him :!:

He possibly knows this boiler and might not think it is 100% spot on, even after his repair.

Sponsored Links
dont do any more repairs on it if it is quite old. if it goes wrong again just do a replacement. £700 for a combi and £400 for fitting.

£700 for a combi and £400 for fitting.
I'll have 5 - fitting properly, legally and safely, mind. :rolleyes:

FIddlestix.
You don't tell us what model boiler you have but if it's getting on a bit all the parts he mentioned including its thermistor could be faulty.
If its still erratic and it's a CB24/8, it's likely to be the white switch on the diverter valve.

An Alpha CB24 DIverter valve price is £259 retail.

SO not so bad. Much of your woes would be due to sludge build-up. None of the fixed-price repairers cover that.

But all of the indications are that the plate HE was blocked and possible some of the pipework as well.

It sounds as if he changed the expensive diverter valve when it was fine because he had not correctly diagnosed the fault.

But in all the circumstances he was not extortionate but you might choose to call someone better at diagnosing faults the next time.

Obviously Marsaday is very cheap to install boilers in Yorkshire. I do hope he flushes the system and completes the Benchmark etc. here in London we have to charge about £840!

Tony

But all of the indications are that the plate HE was blocked and possible some of the pipework as well.

It sounds as if he changed the expensive diverter valve when it was fine because he had not correctly diagnosed the fault.

But in all the circumstances he was not extortionate but you might choose to call someone better at diagnosing faults the next time.

Its fine for us armchair experts to criticise, but he was the guy on the job at the time. It sounds a blockage and general badly maintained system and same problem will occur in another year and nothing to do with the divertor valve. Its not in the interest of many 'fixers' to ensure the overall system is clean and not full of sludge. But personally I wouldn't throw £400 at a boiler each year that was more than 5 years old. Put that money in a bank account and save up for a new one.

Its fine for us armchair experts to criticise, but he was the guy on the job at the time. It sounds a blockage and general badly maintained system and same problem will occur in another year and nothing to do with the divertor valve. Its not in the interest of many 'fixers' to ensure the overall system is clean and not full of sludge.

But it IS in our interest to try to persuade the owner to let us do the job properly and clean it out.

But you know as well as I do that getting it going and telling them AND noting on the invoice that the system is dirty and needs cleaning is something hardly any customers will ever get us to do as its expensive and they just dont want to spend the money. They prefer to buy new clothes, fancy holiday, or BP shares, boilers are just not sexy!

Tony

But it IS in our interest to try to persuade the owner to let us do the job properly and clean it out.

But you know as well as I do that getting it going and telling them AND noting on the invoice that the system is dirty and needs cleaning is something hardly any customers will ever get us to do as its expensive and they just dont want to spend the money. They prefer to buy new clothes, fancy holiday, or BP shares, boilers are just not sexy!

Tony
I don't disagree with that sentiment at all. I would say that I've been asked to replace a pump or valve before and told them the system was dirty and needed cleaning. I'm sure the chap who was in this house for 7 hours just wanted to get home to put his feet up and watch telly. We've all been in that situation!

Obviously Marsaday is very cheap to install boilers in Yorkshire. I do hope he flushes the system and completes the Benchmark etc. here in London we have to charge about £840!

I fully understand the north/south divide, But if it takes 1 or 2 days to remove an existing combi flush out the system and re-install new boiler.

Then £420 or £840 per day is very good money.

We all have are hourly/daily labour charges, all depends on what we need the money for.

But I cant imagine anyone up here paying them prices for a days work,

If someone quoted me that much to work on my car I'd tell them to do one :LOL:

I fully understand the north/south divide, But if it takes 1 or 2 days to remove an existing combi flush out the system and re-install new boiler.

We all have are hourly/daily labour charges, all depends on what we need the money for.

Mate im in Hull and want a minimum of £400 for a straight swap + another £250 for the flush (I cant force them to have it) or they can do one, 90% of straight swaps can be done in under 5 hours and thats a SE to HE or a day and a half with flush, if they dont like it as i said they can do one.
Trust me i aint got a spare minute in the day!!!

I appreciate that some of you work harder, longer and perhaps dont spend more time doing the little bits carefully.

I also fit the TRVs as required whenever the client agrees to have them.

But I can spend perhaps 2-3 hours just bricking up the old flue hole for a large old terminal matching the pointing style and mortar colour to the original. I also cement seal the new flue. I fit the earth bond. I uprate the gas supply as required, I also spend as much time as it takes cleaning a system. I range rate the heating, do measurements and complete the Benchmark.

Based on the standard quotation scheme, I would do three visits, each taking at least two hours door to door to inspect on site. An hour each to collect prices and work out and type the quotations, three times all that just to get one in three jobs.

Then after the system is installed, I give free visits if they have any concerns or just want advice on setting the controls etc. Any breakdowns I go myself as a priority and fix it myself if at all possible.

I appreciate that travel in London is far longer than many other areas of the copuntry and that has to be taken into account in pricing.

I take the view that the average combi swap is about 3½ effective days of work.

Tony

Mate im in Hull and want a minimum of £400 for a straight swap + another £250 for the flush (I cant force them to have it) or they can do one, 90% of straight swaps can be done in under 5 hours and thats a SE to HE or a day and a half with flush, if they dont like it as i said they can do one.
Trust me i aint got a spare minute in the day!!!

I seem to remember you getting laid off or something like that :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back