Have I been scammed?

I appreciate that some of you work harder, longer and perhaps dont spend more time doing the little bits carefully.

I also fit the TRVs as required whenever the client agrees to have them.

But I can spend perhaps 2-3 hours just bricking up the old flue hole for a large old terminal matching the pointing style and mortar colour to the original. I also cement seal the new flue. I fit the earth bond. I uprate the gas supply as required, I also spend as much time as it takes cleaning a system. I range rate the heating, do measurements and complete the Benchmark.

Based on the standard quotation scheme, I would do three visits, each taking at least two hours door to door to inspect on site. An hour each to collect prices and work out and type the quotations, three times all that just to get one in three jobs.

Then after the system is installed, I give free visits if they have any concerns or just want advice on setting the controls etc. Any breakdowns I go myself as a priority and fix it myself if at all possible.

I appreciate that travel in London is far longer than many other areas of the copuntry and that has to be taken into account in pricing.

I take the view that the average combi swap is about 3½ effective days of work.

Tony

you joking?

Sponsored Links
Agile is on drugs 3 1/2 days for combi swap.You really have to come into the real world and 3 odd hours to brick up a hole thats just an amazing amount of time i just cant believe how slow or unskilled this bloke is.

Mind you he never was plumber so is still learning being ex BBC man

I wouldnt say Agile is unskilled just very thorough.we very rarely complete a boiler swap within the day as the time to flush the system with chemicals alone is a good few hours,and then flush with fresh water before inhibiting the system.It often takes longer to commission the boiler and fill out the paperwork than it does to install the appliance.We come accross 5 hour installs regularly there generaly prety poor and without benchmark or correct commissioning.

Sponsored Links
One thing I learnt with the BBC was how to be very through and with quality and repliability foremost.

Most BBC systems are duplicated with auto changeover and very rarely fail. When did your local TV/radio transmissions fail? Thats VERY rarely except in Scotland where extreme weather conditions more often take out the power supply.

Yes, even the BBC do get failures, an elephant stuck in a lift in 1967 when BBC2 started. One evening about 1970 the Crystal Palace transmitter went off and took three hours to correct because one of the cooling glycol pumps was marked as "B" when it was the "A". And neither generator at TV centre started up one evening in 1987, at the moment I dont remember why that was but I used to.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back