have I been scammed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post here, but hoping some of the resident experts can help.

We just moved into a 90+ year old home and during the pre-purchase inspection our inspector commented on the good condition of the boiler. Now, it's getting down around 0 here in Southern Ontario, Canada and I had a tech come into inspect and clean the system.

He knew he was here for a cleaning and the first thing he asked me to to do was crank the thermostat. After some basic electrical and visual inspection he then claimed the boiler was too hot to open and inspect further... (umm, wouldn't that be the case after asking me to crank it up?).

Now, here's where I have the problem - he noted some corrosion on the floor and then took his CO detector and slid it very slowly along a small mesh opening. After a few minutes he picked up a reading of 35ppm CO. After explaining to me that 9ppm was considered normal, he asked when the salesman should come by... when the wife come to see what was going on, he started claiming we should shut the boiler down.

So this is how I landed here -- looking for help/prices/information on boilers. (I see this is a UK centered forum, would the selection of boilers be different in Canada?). Anyway, we bought two new CO detectors with digital measurement readouts and neither is registering anything.

We have a Lochinvar RBN180 boiler.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Whilst we do see Lochinvar integral gas water heated cylinders here they are mostly for industrial/large domestic applications.

You will be better looking for information locally.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back