Can I claim this back from Transco?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had my gas safety check done a couple of nights ago for a pre-arranged price, which was absolutely fine. The inspection proceeded fine until near the end, when it was time to check the pressure outside at the gas meter.

The gentleman perforning the inspection noticed that the pressure was fluctuating too much for his liking, and after 3 separate checks, he informed me that he needed to contact Transco and have them come out to look at the regulator (sorry, I think that was what it was called - the part which controls the amount of gas coming in from the pipe in the street), as it was their property and responsibility.

Transco informed him that it would take two hours to get to us, during which time the guy performing the inspection had to stay at the premises, as he was the responsible person, and that if he left to go on to his new job and was not here when the Transco guy arrived, he could get reported, even though he clearly acknowledged that I was not about to fiddle with the gas supply myself in his absence, andn was very apologetic for the situation.

As a result of this, I was charged an additional 108 quid for an additional 2 hours at his standard labour rate for simply waiting for Transco to arrive. :cry: All I could do was sit him in the lounge and offer him tea while he waited. Expensive cuppas!

I am wondering if it is possible to claim the cost of this two hour wait back from Transco, as it was their part which was faulty? The part itself was installed less than a year ago by Transco, and the part was replaced when they arrived to investigate, after which the pressure was more stable.

Does anyone know if there is a claim proceedure I can look into, or is it not possible? I am assuming that the first guy was absolutely right to stay here until Transco arrived and that his charges are reasonable and that there was no other responsible option available to him at that point which would have eliminated the need for him to stay here and incur costs for the wait.

Many thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
well no you cannot claim back off of transco (gas network)

but why did the engineer have to stay?? he could have turned the gas off, made it safe and left.

does anyone else stay on site for this type of gas supplier issue, cos I dont. I have never been told that I am the responsible person and MUST stay in this instance. am I wrong?

The gas operative doesn't have to stay, they are just responsible for how they leave the installation.

Sponsored Links
I just TOFO it with a disc in meter outlet!!

Never had a complaint yet !!

So I should dispute the additional £108 cost with the guy who did the check?

I was really happy with the work he did, but obviously when it got to the point where he was just having to wait for two hours, I asked if he could simply turn off the gas outside at the meter so that there was no risk, but he said that although he knew full well that I would do nothing to interfere, or fiddle with anything until the Transco guy arrived, he needed to go by the book and stay on site. He was concerned that if the Transco guy turned out to be picky, he could report him.

The boiler and cooker had already been checked over and given a clean bill of health, so it was only the Transco part outside in the meter that required looking at.

The Transco guy didn't pick up on anything being unusual in him having stayed on site all that time, so I didn't really think anything more of it, apart from just general regret at having to pay for waiting!

I have his invoice here, and haven't paid yet. Am I legally entitled to contest this additional cost with him before I pay? How would you recommend I proceed?

Many thanks once again guys :)

If a Corgi regd. operative suspects a gas supply problem deep enough to call Transco then he/she can't just turn off the meter ECV and go. The correct approach would be to cap off supply, with your permission, test and then leave. Then come back test and re-light after Transco had finished (unless they can be sure Transco will do this for you). All this would probably end up costing you more.

I would hazard the opinion nixt that to TOFO a meter would take considerable less time than two hours and cost a tad less than 108 quid, but i do agree with you about the return visit.

My point is as an RGI you dont have to stay on site till the TOFOs turn up.

as terry says use a disc to cap it off and including the relevant tests that will take all of about ten minutes

as for the clients permission, well if he/she refuses then you have to give transco another tinkle to tell them about it and leave.

Hmm, I honestly don't know now how to proceed. On the one hand there is the argument that he doesn't have to stay on site, and then on the other hand I got the impression that the guy was being genuine and dilligent (although perhaps to an extreme), and honestly felt compelled to stay here. I really don't think he was trying to rip me off - everything apart from the wait struck me as totally professional.

But...if there was another option available to him which would have saved me money, I am thinking that it may have been nice to have at least been offered it, rather than being told that there was a hypothetical risk of me taking it into my own hands as soon as he left. After all, I could in theory just go down there with a hammer and a screwdriver and wreak havoc with it right now if I was stupid enough to do so, or at any other time for that matter. He emphasised that he felt bad that his need to stay there said in so many words that he didn't trust me enough to not touch anything, but acknowledged that I or anyone in their right mind clearly wouldn't!

I'm thinking I need to put this down to him being totally by the book and exercising every precaution, which technically speaking seems reasonable, but in terms of common sense perhaps doesn't as much!

All things considered, is the general consensus that I should not question it with him further and pay the full amount?

Cheers once again. :)

thats the way to do it

if your happy he treated you well and was professional then pay him

nice one mate, nice to see there are actually decent customers out there

:)

If the supply is capped a warning notice issued and signature obtained then my AR#E IS COVERED!!

Unless there is a safety issue with an uncontollable escape why would any one wait???

I am normally far too busy to hang around for two hours!! (there could be a clue there)!!

He had a job to get to about 5 minutes away, and everything he said plus his body language suggested he wanted to get there and not hang around, which is why I am unwilling to contest the charge with him. It was really just a case of my wanting to find out if he could have theoretically done something else which would have enabled him to leave things totally safe and save me costs and him having to wait.

Looks like there probably were other options available from what you guys have said, but overall, his actions were reasonable enough.

Thanks for your replies gents, much appreciated :)

...He is either conscientious but doesn`t know the procedure or he is fly.(did you hear him phone other customer to say he would be late) either way you are out of pocket by a lot of money.
Personally i would not pay him ,It is his mistake

...He is either 1-conscientious but doesn`t know the procedure or he is 2- fly.(did you hear him phone other customer to say he would be late) either way you are out of pocket by a lot of money.
Personally i would not pay him ,It is his mistake
1- pay him and then amicably reveal that he may have followed wrong procedure, and use him again. 2- they`re all like that int` they , I`ve seen Rogue Traders, I know my rites :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back