Have I broken this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to top up antifreeze this morning, unscrewed the filler cap (engine cold). It seemed to turn normally but no apparent release of pressure and then suddenly I had the cap in my hand, with what I assume is the pressure fitting stuck in the neck of the tank. I can't see how to get it back on - it does screw back but it's not engaging with the bit that's stuck. (Chevrolet Aveo 2012). I can't for the life of me see how the cap engages with the jammed fitting. Any ideas?
20210205_111317.jpg

Sponsored Links
Flip it out of the neck with a couple of screwdrivers either side, lubricate the rubber 'O' ring, snap it back into place on the cap and that should be fine. Failing that, just lever it out and buy a new one.

Thanks Mottie. I've just watched a You Tube video where the bloke tries the two driver trick and has to resort to pliers - doesn't end well! Do you reckon my system is still pressurised? in which case I'll leave it alone until the next bout of winter is over. Are all these caps the same size, do you know? It's a GM part anyway and they seem quite popular. Interesting that the YT video is also of a Chevvy - must be something in the water.

It wont be pressurised if its been left standing for a while, do it in the morning before driving having been left overnight.

Sponsored Links
Go for a drive with the cap unscrewed and once the car has warmed up, you’ll find the pressure will have pushed it out.

The bit that's stuck in the neck of the bottle will presumably maintain the internal pressure so in theory I can continue to drive the car if I just screw in the cap. Is that correct? Thanks for everyone trying to help, by the way.

That’s exactly what I would do, and chck for any leaks afterwards. These sort of caps often come apart but I’ve never had to renew one yet.
John :)

A couple of slot screwdrivers crossed over and with the tips in the vanes should be sufficient to loosen the base of the cap - perhaps tad of spray of WD40, using the straw, around down the gap to weaken the grip. When fixed, a light coating of rubber friendly grease perhaps.

If it does require replacement, Simplycarparts sell genuine Blueprint

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Are all these caps one size? Mine is a 2012 Chevvy Aveo. The one in the link above looks identical. Will the bit that's stuck maintain the necessary pressure in the system meaning that I can drive normally. I just wanted to increase the concentration a bit in view of the forecast but the level itself is fine so I don't need to open the top if it's OK as it is. Thanks for all the help.

Register here for Blueprint/Febi and then when you login and quote the car's reg, you can confirm if the cap is the right one.

Did you try a few drops of WD/3in1 down the side to try and loosen the grip?

full

For now I’d just screw the cap back on and forget about it....if the engine overpressurises for any reason the coolant will vent out of that slot you can see on the cap at 12 o’clock.
If you need to top up, release the rubber pipe with the clip, and conjure up a funnel with a length of tubing.
A bit of a faff but you’ll get there!
John :)

No disrespect to today's owners, but if Louis Chevrolet could see his famous 'bow-tie' symbol on these so-called Chevvys he would spin in his grave :notworthy:

No disrespect to today's owners, but if Louis Chevrolet could see his famous 'bow-tie' symbol on these so-called Chevvys he would spin in his grave :notworthy:

Yes, think of a Chevy and you think of a big Yank tank. May not be that fast or handle, but what it lacked in performance it made up for in style. Yanks from 50s to 70s were mobile works of art (think those Caddies, Lincolns and Buicks with the fins and chrome). But they weren't just fascinating to look at, often they were technically advanced for the era and many of the extras they had 60 years ago are now standard on Euroboxes. Also the cars were the most comfortable on the road. Then there were the big, lazy V8 engines that were music to the ears.

I think they killed it for me when they started putting Chevrolet badges on Daewoos. :(

We sing from the same hymn sheet R & C.
It's the same with Jeep, not content with replacing V8's & straight 6's with VW diesels the latest range is based on modified Fiat 500 floor-pans.
Is nothing sacred any more :mad:
Now, having hijacked the thread (sorry) I'll bow out & leave you guys to discuss plastic cars.

Stay safe all.

Sponsored Links
Back