Have I broken this?

Just a quick question about my pressure cap. Because of the bad weather the car didn't move for a week. I left the fitting in the neck of the bottle (see photo in first post) and put the cap back on, although no resistance of course. Anyway, I went out to get a new cap (£9.90 from my local Vauxhall parts man) but on a dual carriageway on the way back I noticed the engine/steering wheel juddering at 40mph+ and when I got home the cooling fan was on (very rarely comes on). Is this linked to my engine pressure do you think? I'll have a go at putting the new cap on when everything has cooled down in there.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, I went out to get a new cap (£9.90 from my local Vauxhall parts man) but on a dual carriageway on the way back I noticed the engine/steering wheel juddering at 40mph+ and when I got home the cooling fan was on (very rarely comes on). Is this linked to my engine pressure do you think? I'll have a go at putting the new cap on when everything has cooled down in there.

If this is a petrol, then over-heating and steam released under the bonnet, can short the HT out causing it to misfire.

Good news first. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I used the WD40 and flat-head drivers method to get the broken part almost out, with a quick tug with my pliers when it was almost free of the filler hole.
Bad news now. The juddering steering wheel is caused by a defective front brake caliper (Kwik Fit diagnosis). But the part is no longer available. I feel a new thread coming on. The guy at KF has freed it and it's fine now but how likely is this issue to recur do you think?

The juddering steering wheel is caused by a defective front brake caliper (Kwik Fit diagnosis). But the part is no longer available. I feel a new thread coming on. The guy at KF has freed it and it's fine now but how likely is this issue to recur do you think?
Plenty of new ones on eBay. Is it the caliper though or the slides that have seized?

Sponsored Links
I'm not too clear as to how a dodgy caliper could cause steering wheel judder....that's usually due to a warped disc, wheel balance or a faulty tyre.
Certainly the caliper could be sticking though, and the car would pull to one side and that side would be very hot.....if it wasn't too bad it would definitely show up on the MOT brake tester.
John :)

My local garage confirmed signs of the brake overheating. Steering wheel judder was caused by disc not being released properly but they say that it seems fine now. I am to carefully monitor the brake in case it re-occurs. They then might have to replace the parts which will cost £300 plus. As they can't see a fault now they think it could be a one-off. I think that the KF guy freed it up when he had a look.

Back