Have I created a condensation problem?

a door cracked open with a 6mm gap as an experiment

Leaving the door open while the OP is in the shower will depend on their domestic situation :cautious:

There needs to be a negative pressure within the bathroom to cause the fan to extract. A 10mm gap under a 720mm door is sufficient. There will also be other gaps and whatnot to allow air into the bathroom.

But once the door is opened, then the pressure reverses somewhat, and the bathroom air can move out into the landing or hallway. Even with the fan on.

To deal with this, a constant extract fan is recommened so that it is always extracting, and the moist air that does escape the bathroom, is then gradually pulled back in to the bathroom and out of the fan over several hours, or at least it causes constant air movement so that mould can't start to grow. This does not happen with timer fans.

Sponsored Links
right - so I have a humidistat fan, If I adjust it to let it run on for a good while after the shower (and ensure there is enough of a gap below the door) then hopefully I should have enough airflow to prevent future problems?

its just an experiment to determine iff the a bit off airflow will help it costs nowt and iff it works even a bit then he can look at other areas to further reduce the problem;)

right - so I have a humidistat fan, If I adjust it to let it run on for a good while after the shower (and ensure there is enough of a gap below the door) then hopefully I should have enough airflow to prevent future problems?
It will certainly help. If the room is warm then the condensation that does occur will evaporate soon too and the fan will exhaust the humid air.

What fan do you have? Depending on what you have fitted a bigger fan will help too.

Sponsored Links
The moist air from when you open the bathroom door does not get drawn into the rest of the house then, and magically just stays on the other side of the door threshold?
Of course it magically stays on the other side of the door, because unlike your property i said mine was different and
everyone's is different, I said in the beginning that everyone has different opinions and experiences, one method may work in one house and may fail in another, I have a positive pressure in my house, which means my front door lets a cold breeze into the house, I am aware of it and it does not help cut down my heating losses, this draft must obviously go somewhere It comes from a gap under the front door, and I do not have a seal there, this is despite the fact I have two front doors, one being a double glazed and the second one original wooden door.
So i have noticed that when I open my bathroom window, I see vapors going out of the window, because like you see plumes from condensing boilers, you see this mist going out of the vent when you open the bath door, and within minutes the bathroom condensation is virtually all escaped because the cold draft from the front door pushes it all out without any extractor fan. Further more warmer air in the house rises up and pushes into the bathroom when its door is open and escapes through the window.

So every house is not build and set up the same way, and condensation on my bedroom window is not the product of bathroom steam (condensation) because it comes even on days when we don't take a bath or shower, we dry our clothes on or near radiators, I have a zannusi turbo dry washing machine, but have never used the dryer of it, and so condensation on bedroom windows is always there first thing in the morning, today fort example the lower half of my windows was covered in condensation, got a tissue and wiped it clean and chucked it outside into my garden from where I will pick it up and throw in rubbish bin, left the window open for 5 more minutes to air the room , so sorry your theory doesn't fit in with my dwelling, I also have a loft where I store things and have a permanent stairs going up with just a cardboard cover as I haven't had the time to do a proper door yet, i go there frequently and have looked at my roofing felt and rafters to see if there is any condensation, so far so good. (It is very drafty and cold)

It will certainly help. If the room is warm then the condensation that does occur will evaporate soon too and the fan will exhaust the humid air.

What fan do you have? Depending on what you have fitted a bigger fan will help too.
Yes I agree, if bathroom is kept warm and aired, it will keep dry.
OP just needs a bigger radiator and a fan that stays on for a good length of time after last use, possibly keeping the door slightly open or create a gap underneath.

If the fan also has a timer, use that to set how long it runs after a shower; this will be a fairly constant amount of time.
The humidistat is most useful if you're drying clothes, or some other activity that produces a variable amount of moisture over a longer period of time.

Don't think much to humidistat operated fans, you need it running as soon as anyone is in the room , if you wait for a humidistat to detect moisture it's already to late unless the fans is very powerful it will always be trying to catch up.

Yes, but presumably you are posting from the same universe as me, where the same laws of physics apply.
]
You are now talking nonsense, laws of physics apply to all things equally, but the results will be different if conditions are different, and they are not the same in every house. I said at the very begining, and I am having to repeat it the third time now, that every house is different, and so will require different methods and different times the fan is on for, and heated bathroom can help dispel moisture quicker and stop it condensing on cold wall tiles, so if your bathroom tiles were heated by a bathroom heater, condensation will not settle and drip! These are the ****ing laws of Physics! I think you need to think before blurting out rubbish.

1.I don't get condensation in my bathroom because I have a convector heater (it heats bathroom very quickly to 25c and stops moist air about to be produced from taking a shower, and in the mean time I can spend 5 minutes shaving)
2. I do not have an extractor fan at all.
3. Before I jump into the shower, I open my window vent wide, and ready to expel any moist air that will soon result from taking a hot water shower, so that as soon as it is produced, it stands no chance to settle on wall tiles as they have reached a higher temperature than they normally are at 18c,

3. after taking the shower, I dry myself, wrap myself in towel, and leave the bathroom to get dressed up in the comfort of my bedroom. so i leave the bathroom door wide open, this pushes allows warm air in the passage and landing to escape through the bathroom vent pushing and dragging along any moist air.

4. 5 to 10 minutes later, I pop back into the bathroom, turn my convector heater back to 18c, and leave the window vent open for at least another half to one hour, and shut the bathroom door tight behind me, so as to stop house loosing more heat.

5. Days when I don't take a bath, then there should be no condensation on my bedroom window, so why is there condensation every morning I awake up?
(Answer is its from breathing and other general condensation that you get from cooking, putting the kettle on at least 10 times in a day, and drying clothes and that also includes drying out a wet towel that I took out to dry myself, and moisture from house plants, its not from the bathroom moisture laden air dispersing back into the house, my house has a different set of conditions.

where does this conflict with laws of your Universe?

OP had a fan, but not large enough radiator, and even if he did have a large radiator, was it providing strong heat at the time when someone is taking a bath or shower?
And yes the general idea of a bathroom extractor fan is to dispel moist air away and out of the bathroom, but it does not often work due to inadequate time it is set to, or not moving enough volume of air, if the bathroom is not heated, then moist air can still be expelled but would take much too long, because all that condensation that has settled on cold tiles will need to vaporise again to be able to get air born (evaporate) to be expeled out, fan does not remove condensed water drops. May be I need to teach you a few laws of Physics.
The whole idea of a heated bathroom is to prevent moist air from condensing on cold wall tiles in the first place! and if condensation has formed on your wall tiles, you will need to run your extractor fan for many hours since droplets of water will vapourise far too slowly in cold bathroom, so you might as well wire up your bath fan 24/7 if you thought fan is your answer to condensation. Heater is just as important, in fact heater is more important, all the bathrooms where mold is found are inadequately heated.

I suggest you check this out how relative humidity (water vapour in air) becomes condensed (dew point) on cold wall tiles, so it is related to TEMPERATURE, so by heating the bathroom, you are shifting the dew point, to prevent condensation, so feel free to juggle sliders on this calculator, and may be update your laws of physics.
http://www.dpcalc.org/

Last edited:
ok chaps please lets take a step back
whilst the "rules" are there for a reason h&s wise and quantum physics wise
they do not act exactly as expected as these are real life situations with unknown and unexpected factors acting in an often strange way
so what works in a seemingly impractical or illogical way in one situation will not work in another
we also need to remember we are simple souls who think we fully understand how these things work [as i do ]but in effect we cannot fully allow for peculiarities in every situation that will affect the outcome
in other words apart from ---- we are ------all still learning -- we need to pull back when we think we are fully correct and listen as our situation that off course is 100% correct in our situation and experience will overlap with others ideas and experiences that wont be identical and often quite different
so there experience may be very different causing confusion with several people being correct in there individual situation with or without the laws off physics/common sense / my situation /sh1t happens senario
we just need to chill out stand back and accepts the life can be very different for others who like us are really helpful really honest and really genuine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back