bathroom condensation plastic wall coverings

a sealed container
a sealed container with air in it contains a certain amount of water vapour. The warmer it is the more it can hold, and when it cools, condensation will form on a cool surface such as a window. When the container warms up again the water will evaporate into the air again.

However you can warm and cool it as often as you like, if the container is sealed no more water will be created in that container, so it will not create sufficient water to fuse switches or warp doors or go through a ceiling.

For that you need a source of additional water

such as a leak.

Sponsored Links
Well ok gents what do you think it is the bathroom is on the 2nd floor with only the loft and roof above. It has a light fitting with a extractor surround that exits through a roof port, a new steel bath, plastic walling and a wooden door and a large double glazed window. There is no tank in the loft and no leaks under the bath. There is no damage on the bathroom ceiling or any ceiling downstairs there is no damage to the bathroom floor.

The towel rail runs off the central heating and does not have a thermostat the damage occured to the MDF bath panel that soaked up large amounts of water and the paint on the outside blistered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have just had the bathroom refitted and the insurance company is calling it environmental issues so I am not covered so far the quotes are coming in at £1000.00

You are getting excess water in there even when you are away, not using the bath and shower.

So the source of excess water is not steam from the bath or shower.

So the water is coming from somewhere else. As you have recently had a new bath and a new towel rail fitted I would be starting looking for plumbing leaks. As the bath panel got soaked I would be looking for somewhere close that coulds cause a puddle or a fine spray such as can come from a pinhole in a mains-pressure pipe.

Did you answer if it rained while you were away, and if it was raining when you checked the loft?

Whether the water is coming from a leaky roof, penetration round the window, down the roof port into the extractor hose, a leaky pipe hidden in the wall or under the floor, or behind the cladding, or the WC cistern overflowing when it is not flushed for a while, I cannot say. It is coming from somewhere. Maybe someone left a tap running and has not admitted it. You are going to have to find it. Perhaps you will find a wet patch if you look behind the cladding. Water is not created by a heater going on and off, that's for sure.

So far you have not worked out where the water is coming from, and none of us can see it.

Where do you put your wet washing and wet towels?

While you are at home, opening the door and window and running the extractor, perhaps the water evaporates and the vapour is extracted before it has time to cause a flood.

If you want you can hire a dehumidifier and see how many pints of water it collects in a day, with the door and window closed and no taps on. That might give some useful information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back