Have I done this properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced an old double plug socket with a newer, nicer looking one.

The old socket had one earth connection with three wires going into it.The new one has two connections and I wasn't sure whether it matters which wire going into which socket. I guessed it'd be better to have at least one wire in each connection. Two of the wires were already twisted together so I left them like that. I wired it up as shown in the photo but want to make sure I've done it properly.

2015-09-19 15.42.39.jpg

Sponsored Links
The two earth terminals are connected together by a metal bar, so effectively they are the same terminal. It doesn't matter which you use. There are two provided for convenience.

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if only one was connected it's leave the socket on the other side unearthed. Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Do I spy a missing grommet on the right side cable entry to the back box?

You might, but apart from the new socket everything else is as it was. Is there supposed to be a vital grommet to stop the insulation rubbing?

I wouldn't worry too much if the cable is well plastered in. It shouldn't move much if plaster holds it there.

I know it's not perfect, but...........................

One thing to watch out for is when screwing back the two faceplate fixing screws is to make sure no wires are in the way.

On the single earth wire, just where it enters the terminal, is the wire slightly damaged? Almost looks like it's been deformed by the previous terminal, and is on the verge of snapping.

IF SO, cut this fractured bit off, and 'double the end over' too, to ensure a stronger connection in the terminal.

On the single earth wire, just where it enters the terminal, is the wire slightly damaged? Almost looks like it's been deformed by the previous terminal, and is on the verge of snapping.

IF SO, cut this fractured bit off, and 'double the end over' too, to ensure a stronger connection in the terminal.

It does look that way in the photo but I'm sure it's secure. The end was previously doubled over. I was struggling to get the single earth wire to reach the new terminal so I tried bending out the end to get a little more length. I succeeded in breaking the end off. I managed to get the wire into the terminal after a little re arranging of the paths the wires were following but there's very little of the single earth wire left so I didn't double it over again. I don't think there's enough wire left to allow this. It seems secure enough, that is I wasn't able to pull the wire out of the terminal after tightening the screw. What do you do when you run out of wire?

Why struggle to reach the terminal?

The earth coming from the right, terminate in the RH terminal.
The earths coming from the left, terminate in the LH terminal.

You've taken the RH earth over to the LH terminal and made life difficult for yourself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back