Have I fudged up?! Wrong plywood ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished replacing my old ruined floorboards with 18mm plywood.. All went well and smooth.
I got the ply from wickes where it was simply marked up as hardwood plywood 18mm..(8x4)

Was about £30 a sheet and seemed nice and solid.
Now the jobs done and I've been having a look about online I realised the wood I have says 'non structural'

Have I completely messed up?!
My joists are spaces 1foot apart and ive used a truck load of screws.

Without sounding dumb is there a big difference between structural and non structural plywood of the same 18mm thickness

Sponsored Links
It will be fine, just means it doesn't have a structural grading or certification

Sponsored Links
Square edge ply? Did u route a tongue and groove onto it? Butting square edges up is a recipe for squeaky floors.

22mm P5 T+G chipboard glued and screwed is the way to go.

Square edge ply? Did u route a tongue and groove onto it? Butting square edges up is a recipe for squeaky floors.

I left a 1/8th inch gap between boards and caulked all the gaps. I read on a different thread on this forum from years ago that someone did that and got no squeak issues..

I left a 1/8th inch gap between boards and caulked all the gaps. I read on a different thread on this forum from years ago that someone did that and got no squeak issues..

Each to their own

You did right Chris.
T&G I've found rubs as locked together.
18mm leaving 2-3mm gap works well.dome that on a lot of damaged floor board jobs.

You did right Chris.
T&G I've found rubs as locked together.
18mm leaving 2-3mm gap works well.dome that on a lot of damaged floor board jobs.

Matter of opinion. I've done loads of T+G floors and they are solid as a rock. Glued joints and glued to joists, no way it's ever going to squeak. Wouldn't catch me doing it your method in a month of sundays.

These will be ones that aren't glued. A lot of them aren't and wring screws are used.
How can plywood screwed to joints squeak ?
I don't do that much as I'm a floor finisher. But have done the old area repairs

Agreed that not glued they can make hell of a noise.
Plywood laid in your method with gaps won't, my main worry would be caulk debonding and dropping out.

Good point. With most floors not and heating boards do move.
Best sub floors are 1900-1940s floor boards. Solid.

with T and G I always do as will does PU glue to fix to joists and in joints, with ply I have in the past caulked and butted up lightly, but generally don't bother now.
Glue down and provided you use enough screws it won't move so no squeaks.

No squeaks yet! I also primed some areas and poured some self levelling compound which has been set about 24 hours with no cracks yet! Next job is fibreboard and laminate. The fitting a kitchen next week... This diy stuff seems never ending!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back