Is plywood the best material for non-bathroom sub-floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to refresh my sub-floor as some of it is water damaged and as I've got my carpet up it seems like the perfect time. I've tried to do research into this but it's hard to find reliable info.

So far I've found I can use either Plywood, OSB or Chipboard for my floorboards and I'm getting the impression 18mm Structural Plywood is the best but it seems incredibly expensive.

Is Plywood actually the best to use? If so, I may just make the investment but I just want to make sure it's actually worth it.

Also, how do you guys advise removing the sub-floor? I could potentially pull up the skirting board.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with 22mm flooring grade chipboard suitably fixed.

In my house, it cracks in traffic lanes, at the bottom of the stairs, and in front of the sink. In at least one bedroom the legs of the bed punched through.

I have replaced with ply which is much better.

Chipboard also fares very bady if it sees water.

To the builder, it has the overpowering advantage of being cheap.

Sponsored Links
In my house, it cracks in traffic lanes, at the bottom of the stairs, and in front of the sink. In at least one bedroom the legs of the bed punched through.

I have replaced with ply which is much better.

Chipboard also fares very bady if it sees water.

To the builder, it has the overpowering advantage of being cheap.
Wow, is that even with flooring & underlay over it?

In at least one bedroom the legs of the bed punched through.

**** me! Your love life must be better than mine! I find it hard to believe you're talking about 22mm caberfloor on 450cc joists. On the other hand my sister's 1980s house has Weetabix 18mm stuff that you can stamp your heal through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back