Have to turn heating off and then on to get hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Drayton 2 channel programmer, for a while the clock would come on for the hot water but the boiler would not start up. Discovered if we switched the heating on and then off on the timer the boiler would start up and heat the water and go off with the timer. Since the temperature has dropped outside I went to put the heating on and found that again I had to turn the timer off and then on to get the system working for the heating but now the heating stays on even when the timer is off. The room thermostat stopped clicking when turned up and down so I installed a new one but that has not made any difference. I keep reading that heating staying on could be the timer itself, the cylinder thermostat or the 3 way valve sticking. As our heating wont come on without the switching off and on of the timer I wounder whether its more likely that its the timer itself which I can replace or whether it could still be any of the parts at fault.

As well as replacing the room thermostat I have also reseated the timer on the wiring plate.

Sponsored Links
Hard to be sure without getting a multimeter to it I'm afraid. Could be the timer, could be your 3-port valve. Do you have a multimeter and are you confident in its use?

I had one somewhere but always been a bit iffy using it on a circuit that has electricity going through it. Thanks for replying

I'm getting the exact same thing, also with a Drayton 2 channel programmer. Would appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
I'v not fixed mine completely yet but there was improvements when I replaced the programmer ( its really easy to do if you stick to Drayton as they don't seem to have changed the back plate where the cables are connected), I don't have to fiddle to get the heating to come on and I'm getting a click when turning the room thermostat now but the heating does still stay on when everything is off so I suspect the programmer went faulty and has caused a secondary fault, and from what I have read on line its probably with the 3 way valve.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It gets expensive when chucking parts in an attempt to fix a fault. Also hijacking a thread is no help to anyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back