Have you ever changed a tyre on a scooter ?

Old Lambretta's and Vespa PX's have spilt rims, and that's it.

Everything else has a one piece rim.

Even the PX owners buy a cast 1 piece alloy wheel as an "upgrade".

Sponsored Links
With those, you'll never be Matchless. ;)
Now that was a motorcycle
s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored Links
A bit before my time, there were around when I started to ride, but no new ones, I note tax disk 1959 I was 8 then.

My dad said motor bikes were too dangerous, but he would let me have a scooter, I was not going to point out likely scooter worse or he may have stopped me having one of them.

Started with Honda P50 moped, engine built into rear wheel, top speed around 25 MPH, but said it would do 254 MPG on a level paved road at 16 MPH, it had a 0.6 gallon tank, and it would do 64 miles North to Mid Wales flat out all the way on a tank full.

All Lambretta Scooters were claimed to do 100 MPG or better. Even the 650 Bonnie did 60 MPG, and with carbs no fuel injection back then. Even cars the Reliant and the Citroen 2 cv could do 60 MPG, so what is wrong with the vehicles today, we should be looking at 100 MPG for a small car, what went wrong? Weight and speed I suppose.

Well I gave it a good go but not happy with the heavy duty tyre levers, felt they were too chunky and risking stressing the bead.
Took the wheel to a bike shop he did it on his machine and only charged me a fiver :mrgreen:

I changed one on a Vespa in about 1955 but it was a crossply and can't remember how difficult it was.

Peter

I have still to change a tyre on my e-bike, not a clue what is involved with the rear wheel with the power cable, and unlike a scooter not carrying a spare. But I do carry an aerosol can to blow it up and seal a leak in an emergency.

I've asked a couple of local garages they don't do them

Go to a road/street-side tire shop. They repair and mount tires. Unless you need to change tires often, it's not worth getting all the tools.

All my local tyre shops will do them for a tenner. Only problem for some is the small size as they don’t all have the kit for tiny wheels. Did one myself but was a pain , cut off old tyre with a grinder, saved a few bruised fingers.Have you looked for a mobile tyre fitter?

I have still to change a tyre on my e-bike, not a clue what is involved with the rear wheel with the power cable, and unlike a scooter not carrying a spare. But I do carry an aerosol can to blow it up and seal a leak in an emergency.
Just unplug the motor and remove the wheel as per normal cycles. Might be worth getting a h/d puncture protected tyre and an inner tube with puncture sealant already added.

Sponsored Links
Back