Having a career as a public speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Folks

i hope you're all well. In a few years time I'm thinking of semi retiring and creating a career in public speaking. Do you think this is a viable thing to do or is public speaking only for the rich and famous?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to be rich

You may need to be either famous or have a really good hook as people won't book a nobody

There is a beefeater called jerry Clark who is on YouTube who also does after dinners- he' s very entertaining

Hi,
First of all good luck in your future,its a big step in life and needs planning.
When considering employment i always tell people to find a career where you can transfer some of your existing work skills but saying that a friend has just done the complete opposite.
Maybe consider doing more than one part time job,it sounds like you have the confidence to be a public speaker,master of ceremonies,concierge and many more front of house jobs. you have the chance to chose what you do including hours of work so look upon it as an exciting change of employment,more than just making some cash.

Good luck,

The rich and famous can be very boring when when it comes to public speaking.

One of the most unusual speakers was one of the staff at the local funeral directors. He talked about the strange and often humourous events and methods that happen in the undertaking business. Booked to talk for twenty minutes at a youth group meeting he was still entertaining ( question and answer time ) an hour later.

Sponsored Links
An after dinner speaker needs to be entertaining, and have good stories and anecdotes to tell, but where do you see yourself doing this, and what do you have that you feel would be entertaining to an audience. Although I have no idea how you'd put yourself forward for it, agency wise, or where you'd find your venues.

Back