Son needs help to decide what job/career he wants to do

Sponsored Links
Maybe that's an unexpected look into the other side of teaching......typical in some ways, not in others.....I really don't think things are as bad as they used to be.
The reason? When I started, booze was the order of the day. A belting was quite likely - especially around lunch time when the parents / elder brothers had had a skinful. When I finished my career it was all about dope.....the kids certainly couldn't be taught but you didn't get any bother. Peace, man. (y)
I'll repeat - I had it cushy compared with some primary school teachers. Fancy giving it a go?
John :)

If he wants to be a teacher, then he should think about the subjects he wants to teach and focus on them. If he then does his degree around those subjects, he can then convert to a post grad teacher qualification. This way he'll have a back-up plan if he doesn't like teaching, where as if he does a teaching degree, it wont be counted the same outside teaching (or even inside).

With regard to career advice at school. I was told to go in to catering, I ended up doing IP law for an IT firm. I still enjoy cooking though.

Sponsored Links
I hope Geek's son gets into something he enjoys doing , whatever it is and he probably doesn't know what it is yet. Sit him down and have a serious talk to him. I hated the first 17 years of my life in insurance and the other 23 years were marginally better because I didn't work in an office any more. I know a lot of that is down to personal problems but happiness enjoyment and fulfilment is worth far more than money. If I knew then what I know now.....
And I wouldn't want to be a teacher, I haven't got the temperament or the talent.

I didn't have a clue what to do at 16. I ended up going to a college of further education just because my mate was going there. At the age of 20 after being made redundant I did a degree (mind you that was in the days of grants....no uni fees then either).

My daughter is 18 and started university a few weeks ago. She has told me she hates it. She is sticking it out for the time being though as she has coughed up £9000 uni fees for the first year alone. The sheer amount of debt involved with these student loans makes my blood run cold. Good old Maggie Thatcher. Taking us back to the good old days where only the kids from wealthy families got to go to university. My son (20) contemplated doing a degree but didn't want the colossal debts. He was lucky enough to get a job where they are putting him through a degree part-time. I go to my local Maccy-D's sometimes for a breakfast and see intelligent young people reduced to flipping burgers for a living because they can't afford to study. Two world wars for this.

For a really great job with shedloads of money and very little work I'd recommend being a divorce solicitor. I know loads of guys who have been well and truly done over by them and I'm one of them. The next time I smile at a divorce solicitor will be through a telescopic sight.

Good old Maggie Thatcher. Taking us back to the good old days where only the kids from wealthy families got to go to university

Much as I hate Maggie I have to say it wasn't her that brought in tuition fees but some labour ****

In my day you could do a thin sandwich degree. 6 months study, 6 months work for 3 years and then a full year of study in the final. I did it like that and owed my folks a couple of £100 to see me through to my first pay cheque. It would be good for Uni's to offer these again - I earned enough as a contractor in the 6 months each year to cover the other 6 months.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to work as a general solicitor, unbelievably dull work. I do however, have loads of respect for those who do criminal law- getting called out at all times of the night for less than a plumber.

In my day you could do a thin sandwich degree. 6 months study, 6 months work for 3 years and then a full year of study in the final. I did it like that and owed my folks a couple of £100 to see me through to my first pay cheque. It would be good for Uni's to offer these again - I earned enough as a contractor in the 6 months each year to cover the other 6 months.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to work as a general solicitor, unbelievably dull work. I do however, have loads of respect for those who do criminal law- getting called out at all times of the night for less than a plumber.

The bit about being a solicitor was tongue in cheek my owd. If you felt something whoosh across the top of your head earlier it wasn't life threatening.....

No worries - many an estate agent's new Audi was funded by a divorce. At the end of the day 2 apart need more to live than 2 together, so there is always going to be winners and losers.

In my opinion footballers are overpaid. Bosses of banks, MP's are overpaid. Film starts, musicians, they're all overpaid.
I would agree about bosses of banks but don't think M.P.s salaries are that much (they may fiddle a lot, though).

Footballers', film stars' and musicians' etc. earnings must be looked at as commission - part of huge profits for the organisations.

Not fair but unavoidable.

People who are underpaid, dustbin men, teachers, nurses/midwives/ambulance men/women, carers, police, firemen to name a few.
That's how it is. Such workers cannot be paid huge sums because of how the system works.

Last edited:
By all accounts most of the big name footballers like Rooney and Beckham are as thick as two planks. The prime minister of New Zealand was famously heard to say about Beckham after he visited NZ and had a kickabout with the prime ministers kids ....."he's a nice enough bloke but he's as thick as bat sh1t." Fabulously wealthy though.

Strange taste in wives the both of them. I wouldn't know whether to ask Colleen Rooney out for a drink or put a saddle on her and ride her home. And that stick insect Mrs. Beckham. What is it with the 'meat fly' sunglasses she always wears?

Another strange thing about the huge incomes which then become wealth is how the person then becomes part of the establishment hobnobbing with politicians and royalty - not that they're very bright generally.

Funny thing - money.

Sponsored Links
Back