Homework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been meaning to ask cantalop this for ages but keep forgetting. The 'Hated' thread prompted my brain cell to bounce around.

So... Why are kids given homework?

I'm asking this question from a 'Primary/First and Middle School' point of view but I'd be interested in your (everyone's), views/reasons behind Secondary Schools too.

I was at a parents meeting a few weeks back, the subject of homework came up and a few feathers were ruffled. It's been a sore subject for years with the parents I know, maybe with more? I can't speak for all parents obviously but I can speak with some qualification (excuse the pun), for the 50 odd parents I know at this particular school/year group.

One thing that is never answered with any conviction (or in my opinion, 'honesty'), is why the kids are given homework.

I politely asked if it was a question of there not being enough hours in the school day but the session was being run like a 'BBC Question Time' program in that questions/comments were given by the parents/carers but very few answers came back due to time constraint (although I fully appreciate that teachers and the head want to be away especially after 6.00pm).

If it is a question of not enough hours in a school day why not just extend each day through to say 4 or 5pm? I accept that your 'working' day isn't 9am till 3.30pm canta and you don't/can't just rush off home at 3.30 but ALL jobs regardless of what you do, require some planning, thinking, worrying, stressing but for 'most' jobs, you need to somehow fit those additional factors into the working day/week/month/year. Working for yourself is different of course, you never seem to stop working but that's a career choice.

I'm not having a go at teachers, I'm genuinely curious as to why homework is given out. It impacts family life 'outside' of school. Personally I spend a fair portion of my time at my son's school as I'm asked to attend trips (they like to have a male presence), help out with school fairs, help set up school plays etc.

I'm all for the parent-teacher relationship being a two way thing. I give more of my time 'directly' to my son's school than many of the other parents but then I have the time at the minute and the financial comfort that many do not. However, it still bothers me that school impacts on family life outside of the school hours ie during the week, at weekends, during holidays etc. Obviously I've asked this question in the past but none of the teachers seem very keen on giving an answer.

I've been told that it is a Ofsted requirement but if that is the case... why? I mean what is the purpose? On the other hand, I've also been told that homework is NOT compulsory/required but it is 'encouraged' by the government. Again... why? Even the government's own website tells me effall as to WHY homework is compulsory/encouraged... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SchoolLife/DG_179508

Being a bloke who I know is frank, honest and factual, I'd particularly appreciate your answers canta but obviously I'm keen to hear all input. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think the whole point of homework is to reinforce the lessons the kids are learning. You know the old saying "Practice makes perfect." Well , homework is another way to try and get them to practice what they've been doing during the lesson.
Also remember, whoever sets the homework has to mark it as well. Teachers can't mark homework during lesson time, so have to take it home with them to mark in the evenings. They're off the clock then so this is free work the authorities are getting from the teaching staff.
When I was at school, one kids report card included the comment,, "Gavin's father is slowly getting better at doing his sons's homework."
And "I cannot possibly comment on Gavin's work this term, as I have yet to see any." ;) ;) ;)

I think the whole point of homework is to reinforce the lessons the kids are learning. You know the old saying "Practice makes perfect." Well , homework is another way to try and get them to practice what they've been doing during the lesson.
Also remember, whoever sets the homework has to mark it as well. Teachers can't mark homework during lesson time, so have to take it home with them to mark in the evenings. They're off the clock then so this is free work the authorities are getting from the teaching staff. When I was at school, one kids report card included the comment,, "Gavin's father is slowly getting better at doing his sons's homework."
And "I cannot possibly comment on Gavin's work this term, as I have yet to see any." ;) ;) ;)

No it's not. teachers are salaried, and there work description includes off premises work. I know a few teachers, and those that have been at it a few years DO NOT spend all summer preparing. And once they are off the early years they get decent money, and you won't see a headmaster on a bike.

I could have written Blasphemous' post. When my kids were at school, I spent loads of time at the school, and helping with the Scouts. The Scout group appreciated it, the school seem to accept the help almost as a parental obligation, and it is true that one would see the same faces helping out all the time.

As John (Gavin ;) ) said, it's to reinforce what they've learned at school. I also think they hope that the child will get some 1-on-1 teaching from their parents that teachers don't have time for in class.

Of course the latter part of that is pointless if parents can't be bothered to help their kids.

Sponsored Links
As John (Gavin ;) ) said, it's to reinforce what they've learned at school. I also think they hope that the child will get some 1-on-1 teaching from their parents that teachers don't have time for in class.

Of course the latter part of that is pointless if parents can't be bothered to help their kids.

I assure you my name is John , not Gavin. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

expertgasman, maybe teachers are salaried, but I doubt the salary covers all the hours they actually put in.
FWIW, when I left school I went to Loughborough College of Education , doing a 4 yr B Ed degree course, but left after the second year as the system was changing then. Kids were given too many rights, far too quickly. ;) ;)

It's getting them into the habit of self-motivated study which they will need for university.

It's getting them into the habit of self-motivated study which they will need for university.
Good point - we used to have to take notes during the lessons and write them up as homework . Did me no good at all :rolleyes: tho` it suited the academic people . Sounds like nothing much has changed since 1965 when I passed the 11+ :mrgreen: . Tho` maybe the middle classes are foolish enough to pay for a " better education " now

There are other reasons. First is the curious fact that sometimes something which may not be understood at the time suddenly clicks into place a shortish time later. Since contact time in class is limited and "we" therefore have to move onto new or different topics with a fair degree of pace, it make sense to provide a pupil (as an aside, you may wish to ask yourself why we use the term "pupil" ;) ) the opportunity to "have another go".

Second is also related to the above - recall. You are far more likely to remember something long term if you have to go through the routine of memorising it short term, with a few hours or even a couple of days time difference.

Others have pointed out other valid reasons such as developing autonomous work patterns. I have worked in a variety of schools with youngsters from a wide range of backgrounds. With rare exception, those students who, er, study at home regularly and complete their homeworks (even though they may make a right hash of the set tasks) tend to do far better in examinations than those that don't. I suspect that this is largely because they have developed an association between home and work as a norm, which enables them to extend the experiences for prolonged periods of examination revision.

I could have written Blasphemous' post.
Ah but have you ever been Santa? I was asked if I would do it last year.
santa-smiley-ho-ho-ho.gif

A role I was not looking forward too I must admit but... I quite enjoyed it. Was lovely to see the little ones faces when they saw 'Santa'. Trouble is the parents, teaching team and head thought I was 'fantastic'. Must try and get myself fully booked up for December this year otherwise it'll be yours truly shoving on his wellies again!

So what's the point if said 'pupils' aren't interesting in going down the academic route? Perhaps they would like to but know the debt won't be worth the effort? Perhaps they know that the degree won't put them in any better chance of winning a job?

Which brings me nicely to my next point.

I fully embrace trying to better your kids. Whether we've spent our life digging coal or writing up our thesis on 'X', we all (well, hopefully a lot of us), want our kids to do better than we have done in life. But what happens to the poor souls who don't have such nurturing parents? School is their only means of education. They may not be the brightest in the class but they may well want to be. It must be soul destroying for little Johnny to come in to school with his poorly slapped together offerings when he sees little Sarah with her perfectly executed homework with all of the sparkle that only time and perhaps money can buy. How does that 'help' little Johnny? I'm not blaming you canta. I'm blaming the system and of course the parents. My 'worry' is that there are children out there who didn't 'get it first time' in the class and forcing them to do it all again at home, without any of that lovely support, will not only fail to 're-enforce' the lesson but COULD actually re-enforce the belief in little johnny that he's 'thick', that he will amount to nothing, that school is crap, that the best thing to do is bunk off.

My 'worry' is that there are children out there who didn't 'get it first time' in the class and forcing them to do it all again at home, without any of that lovely support, will not only fail to 're-enforce' the lesson but COULD actually re-enforce the belief in little johnny that he's 'thick', that he will amount to nothing, that school is crap, that the best thing to do is bunk off.
A highly valid concern which I obviously can't counter with any real evidence other than observations previously mentioned. The school in which I currently work inculcates an ethos of studiousness. As such, for example, my "bottom set" (I hate that terminology, but it's too colloquial to not use :confused: ) Year 11, which had 7 pupils with SEN in it managed to achieve a success rate of 3 out of the 7 getting a grade "C". The other half year group I taught was set 4 (out of 6) and they attained 13 B's, 14 C's and 1 D. Were they any more naturally gifted than other classes I have taught? No. I have taught a few set 1's over the years who have achieved far less as groups, largely because they didn't do much work at home.

Anecdotal evidence has its limitations, but it does provide other counter-evidential arguments.

As I said canta, I'm not blaming you, I'm simply worried about the emphasis of homework on the kids that arguably need the most help due to the fact they get sod all from their parents. That and the impact on 'family time' of the parents that do want to spend time out and about with their kids.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone. I shall feedback my findings to the parents... I could well be back with more questions though! :eek:

[ My 'worry' is that there are children out there who didn't 'get it first time' in the class and forcing them to do it all again at home, without any of that lovely support, will not only fail to 're-enforce' the lesson but COULD actually re-enforce the belief in little johnny that he's 'thick', .[/quote] **************Don`t worry - We get Lucky instead , ;)

expertgasman, maybe teachers are salaried, but I doubt the salary covers all the hours they actually put in.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Kids were given too many rights, far too quickly.

I won't argue with you in that, and, in fact, I suspect that any teacher leaving their job and nice pension do so because of this rather than for money

IMO I used to help my 2 boys on math homework and they have learnt my way of doing the calulation, right or wrong but it's nice to show them how I was taught and it's good for parents to be with their kids but sadly most of them now working all the hours under the sun just to put the butter on the table :cry:

My 'worry' is that there are children out there who didn't 'get it first time' in the class and forcing them to do it all again at home, without any of that lovely support, will not only fail to 're-enforce' the lesson but COULD actually re-enforce the belief in little johnny that he's 'thick'
**************Don`t worry - We get Lucky instead , ;)
Perhaps I'm a bit 'thick'.... what does that reply mean?

Sponsored Links
Back